icon

2000 caviler cd changer installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2002 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
No you can not use the wires from your license plate light.  There will only be power when your park lights are on 2000 caviler cd changer installation - Page 2 -- posted image.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2002 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
you'll have to run the controller cable at the very least to the front, and it's no more effort to run the power wires along with it.  At the deck, the bigger wires should be for power and ground.  The wiring info listed in the database here is incorrect(says car has switched 12v+ wire), but I believe the big orange wire is the constant power lead, and big black wire is ground.  Check them with a DMM to make sure.  databus wire I'm not sure of the exact color, maybe gray/red?
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
bugger 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2002 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
ya, i seen that too listed in the database. seems gm only did this to this model and year of car, so thay told me at the store. it does have a big orange wire, but i think the black was a small one. i just took alook at the antenna, theres enugh slack to make the connection without the adaptor.cool. i may go thru the fuse box for power, i dont have power windows, i may use that if theres power in that area.
bugger 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2002 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
what does the bcm look like andwhere exactly is the bcm located? i used the factory wire(orange) for constant power, but need info on the switch, or accessory power. i asssume the bcm means backup control module, right? its extremelly tight under there, and dont want to loosen any other wires. thank for your help in this to all who posted.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2002 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

Pioneer changers come with a short ground wire---just ground it in the trunk---plus, I'm pretty sure the changer will also get a ground just by screwing its body to metal.

BCM stands for Body Computer Module or Body Control Module, depending on which GM car you're talking about.  You will probably find ignition power at the BCM if you poke around long enough, but you're not likely to find accessory power there---which is what you want.  "Ignition" means it only gets power while the key is switched to Run, and "accessory" means it gets power when the key is in the Accessory and Run positions.  You want to be able to play CDs with the engine off, right?

Probably the easiest thing to do is just grab the main ignition harness under the driver's dash, open up the tape with a razor, and go for the thick brown wire in there.  Make sure you keep the Pioneer-supplied fuseholder in place----if your wiring should ever short out, you want just the Pioneer fuse to blow---not the car's big fuse that powers the brown wire.

Also, if you can think of any item in your car that only works with the key in Accessory or Run, then you should be able to get power there.  The problem is, I can't think of many things that work that way on a GM car-----cigarette lighter is constant, power windows are in Run only, power mirrors are constant.....you get the idea.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2002 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
you don't need to care where the bcm is. for switched power, you stick the wire into the BCM Fuse, which is located in the fusebox on the left side of the dash.  check to make sure you have the switched BCM fuse if there's more than one, but I think cavaliers only have one BCM fuse. BTW, it's not just '00 cavaliers that have databus radios. '00 and up cavs and sunfires, impalas, malibus, and minivans(not astros), '01 and up Grand Ams and Aleros, and probably more all use this method.  Metra has recently come out with a databus interface which allows you to install an aftermarket deck in those cars without keeping the fact. radio in the trunk, and it gives you a switched power wire for your new deck as well.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
bugger 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2002 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
i have the diagram of my fuse box and the bcm is listed. there is only one, so i guess thats were i will get my acc power from. thanks for the info on the databus wire, i was thinking about upgrading my factory deck but to go thrugh putting it in the trunk was too much work. actully this installation didint seem too hard after i got the info i needed from here, keep up the good work. thanks again.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic