icon

Adding external mp3 player

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lukeinst 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
I've been installing for a long time but it is usually police and emergency equipment. This is why I have a stereo question.
One of my buddies has a 2001 Camry with the stock sterea with stck cd player. He wants me to add a jack that he can plug in his mp3 player. I'm geussing kind of like what ipod is doing?
Can some one tell me where to begin? I have loads of experience with your standard head unit replacement and I have Air Force electronics training.
Specializing in Police Equipment installations.
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
if all he wants to do is play the mp3 player through the head unit i would just recommend going with a FM transmitter or a tape adapter. I know it is not the flashiest thing or anything but it gets the job done.
if he wants to be able to control the player, then that is a different story. I do not know of anything that will allow a stock head unit to control an external mp3 player. Alpine does have the adapter for the iPod, but that is the closest thing i know about. plus in order for it to to work you need to have an alpine head unit.
Lukeinst 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
FM Transmitter? What does it do?Adding external mp3 player -- posted image.
Specializing in Police Equipment installations.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
all it does is simply transmits the whatever you are playing on the mp3 player to the radio via a radio frequency. I believe you can set the transmitter to 1 of 4 different stations, then you tune your headunit to that station and you should be picking up your mp3 player. an example of one is like this
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Belkin-TuneCast-II-Mobile-FM-Transmitter-F8V3080-/sem/rpsm/oid/89462/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
I think that soundgate and peripheral ( www.peripheralelectronics.com) have an interface that lets you control the ipod from some factory radios. If they don't have that they would probobly have an auxillary input adaptor that lets you connect the audio output on your ipod directly to your factory radio. Any of those options would sound better than an FM modulator.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
i use Directed's RFM-100...works great for this application and no noise.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
I would definitly do an AUX input interface over fm modulation, i cannot believe how many shops still use those crappy FM modulators. AUX inputs are far superior for sound quality and they are just as easy to install. I cant wait for FM modulation to die, of course it will probably never will.
Jazzy
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
definately avoid the FM modulation, even though i suggested it. the sound quality will suck, i've heard them in my friend's cars and stuff. AUX imputs are the way to go. sorry i forgot to add that in there.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

Aux in is a cleaner way to go ASSUMING YOUR RADIO HAS A CD CHANGER (AUX) INPUT ON IT..... if it doesnt ( as many do not) then use a GOOD QUALITY FM modulator.... if you pay less than about 50-100  bucks for the modulator then you didnt get a good one.....avoid the wireless ones entirely as they sound like crap.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
i thought all fm modulators were wireless?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic