the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Entasi Audio ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  

kfr, how do you justify using 18"s? aren't they a bit sloppy? sloppy like they don't really perfrom like 12"s, 10"s or 15"s?  Even with that power that he will be using, it seems a little strange?  

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
Driver size or mass doesn't create "slop."
By slop you either mean:
1) Transient response is bad
2) Distortion is high
3) Cone breaks up early.
That larger sub-bass drivers can't "hit" like smaller drivers is a myth. I've heard people supporting this myth. Their reasoning is usually: "the larger driver has more area and mass to move, it must not be as fast."
Please read the Adire technical paper here: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/WooferSpeed.pdf
I quote from the paper: "It turns out that transient response of a woofer is not a function of the moving mass, as is commonly espoused (one of the most infamous audio myths). In actuality, it is based upon the inductance of the driver. And the greater the inductance, the slower the driver - the lower the transient response."
Assuming inductance is sufficiently low as RE builds quality drivers, transient response won't be a problem.
Distortion? The XXX uses Adire's XBL^2 technology. I feel confident in saying that distortion is lower than many 12" drivers on the market.
Cone break up? If he has the crossover set at 80hz or below this won't be a problem.
So, where's the slop?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

fair enough. I feel that is good response I am stisfied. But you obviously see where I come from on that question, because it doesn't really seem that too many 18" woofers are used in the car, especially for sq aplications. I also might inquire about the enclosure size for drivers this size. in home and pro audio apps. allow for much larger cabinets where as the car is slightly restricted.

So I might ask next though, is why do you want an extremely loud sq setup uthink? I wonder if you are genuinely wanting this just to feel better about something else?

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, dwarren, you're right, 18" woofers are rarely practical for cars. I was suggesting a pair as an alternative to 3 12"s and know that uthink drives some sort of SUV, I assumed he had some space to play with. :-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
dwarren 
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  

well I guess turning an suv into a sub enclosure is ok if you don't really use it any way...(s)tupid (u)seless (v)ehicle

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
Trust me, i'd get the Brahma if i could but i can't. I'm just sick of waiting. I don't want to throw 18"'s in there because i can only have the box at a maximum height of 16.75" meaning that the woofers can either be 12" or 15", no less and no more (screw 10"s and 8"s). Which one do you think will be the best? I wonder if Image Dynamics can make an IDMAX15....
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Uthink, what have you found out about the rl-p's? people in caraudio.com seem to love this sub. I'm somewhat in the same boat you are. i'm looking for a sql sub.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic