icon

New Alternator & Power Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dasmodul 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
Just saw the other post about capicitors and I was a bit alarmed to see unanimous outcrys that capacitors are useless. My problem is, I WOULD buy a new higher power alternator for my upcoming system, but I checked with Stinger and they don't make alternators for my car because it's a diesel engine. So my dealer recommended capacitors instead.
2002 VW Golf TDI
I'm really concerned about power. My setup will be:
Alpine 9855 HU
Arc Audio 4150 Amp
Arc Audio 900.1D Amp
Rainbow ProFi 365 Vanadium (3way) Components
Arc Audio CS265 (2way) components
JL Audio 10" Stealthbox
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
Have you checked around to see if anybody makes a HO alternator for your car? Or the possibility of getting yours rewound?
'85 Toy
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
Yea I dunno what people have against capacitors.. I think this is one of those "theory vs. reality" things where what all the math points one way but the real workings of something point the other...
I mean, I have a $60 cap from power acoustik that worked absolute wonders for me ... however I will say it only helped significantly *after* I installed a rebuilt HO Alternator.. before I did that all it was good for was a constant "Beeeep" from the voltmeter built onto the thing telling me it was running at like 9 volts. New Alternator & Power Question -- posted image. So, I took it out after some people saying things like they really are just loads on your system and a big hoax by car audio manufacturers and what-not.
But after I dropped in the cap figuring "what the hell" after the HO alt install, the whole head-light dimming thing was alivieted tremendously and the sub-amp stopped cutting out at stop-lights...(My alternator dips really low at idle.. like 10.5 volts) to be honest, I was *quite* suprised at the improvement.
You ought consider a second batter or an Optima Yellow in addition to the cap... or again, a better solution would be a HO Alternator. I poked around at Mr. Alternator.com and Irragi Alternators off of eBay but didn't see anythin that matched ur car...
You could have it rewound tho.. try a rebuilding shop like MrAlternator or something like that.. if your not comfortable taking out your own alternator though that could get highly expensive and inconvienient.... especially if you need ur car while your alt is in limbo for 3 or 4 weeks...
let us know what you end up doing and how it works out. After all my power problems I'm always interested in how other ppl are dealing w/ 'em.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
You can pick up a used one and get it rewound. That way you will still have access to your vehicle.
'85 Toy
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Gimme a day,. i'll see if i can locate an alt for you.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
dasmodul 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Alpine Guy.
I called up some random places on the web and no luck. That diesel problem again.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

ok i called up Mechman , and they have a 150 amp ( hot rated) 185 amp cold for $492, plus $35 for the adaptor plug.  They believe it will fit the diesel, but reccomended you check with VW for the differences between the gas 1.8L alt and the diesel 1.9L alt.

The price is high, but quality is assured.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic