Clifford Avantguard- blackjax not workin

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
franksm 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

Hi folks !

I have recently fitted a Clifford Avantguard5, and had left Blackjax disabled so that I could get used to the system without having to learn Blackjax too. Now that I have enabled it, it doesn't trigger ! I have connected to the unit via the serial wizard and can see that the Blackjax is enabled and that the following inputs are working: ignition, brakes, door, and everything else. So as far as I can see, it's all wired properly.

Just one thing: I did not fit the Intellistart IV unit - this is supposed to connect in parallel with the Avantguard main unit to the ignition wires, and also the tachometer wire and a couple of others. It also connects to the cliffnet network and thereby tp the Avantguard main brain. I do not need remote start so just did not fit it.

The installation instrutions say that for Blackjax the unit monitors the ignition, the brakes, and either the tachometer wire or else wire H1/4 (violet/black wire) on the main unit. However, H1/4 is not connected on the Avantguard5 and I don't have the tachometer wire connected as the Intellistart is not connected.

Anyone know what I'm talking about ? ;-) Is there any alternative open to me other than fitting that Intellistart box ? It would be interesting to know what H1/4 is supposed to be - I think the Avantguard5 is much the same as the Intelliguard 850 or 950 so perhaps if someone can point me to the install guide for those I would be able to see what H1/4 is supposed to be.

Thanks for any ideas & apologies for the huge text. I'm very impressed with the Clifford system. If you're interested in seeing exactly why I need it, have a look here: http://mx5ireland.com/members/frank/theft/2004Nov

Frank (Ireland)

Dublin, Ireland
1996 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Turbo (Clifford Avantguard5)
1992 Mercedes 230CE (Falcon Predator Evo4+)
franksm 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I have made sure the "temporary bypass of Blackjax" is not enabled, so it *should* all be set to go.
Dublin, Ireland
scirocco16v 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
Blackjax uses the tach signal on the intellistart via the serial bus to know if the car is moving or stopped, it shuts down based on that signal.  there is a possibility that there is a pin without a wire in it on the control unit, however i can not confirm that it will work.  All the other wires are there, but the tach signal is crucial.  even though the blackjax should theoretically begin the stop countdown anyway by chirps and flashing lights, there might be failsafe built in that bypasses it if a tach signal is not programmed.
franksm 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for that - the install-manual makes more than one reference to that missing wire (H1/4) so that must indeed be the tach signal. What I'll do is to check out the loom once more to see if the wire is (I hope) there but just taped off. If it's not there, I'll maybe try and scavenge a pin from one of the Intellistart loom connectors and insert that into the main loom - I have done that before with ECU harnesses (Link) and it's fiddly, but works. Companies like Amp.com can supply such connectors, pins etc anyway.

If none of that is going to work, my last resort is to just hook up the Intellistart box but with just the bare-basic connections it needs - incl. the tach signal.

Thanks anyway for the ideas!

Dublin, Ireland
scirocco16v 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Install it and just don't use it if you don't want remote start.  it has other feature like delayed accesory and short stop.  they are nice to have. Good luck
marksmart 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
i had the sma rproblem when i fitted a concept 400. trace the tach wire and install, you will need to program the alarm to RPM threshold, (folloe manual) . then it should work. good luck
Mark Smart
franksm 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  

Just to report back some closure on this - I was dismayed to find that the tach wire was missing from the Avantguard5 loom. The only option was to put a wire in there, or else fit the Intellistart box. I don't have a lot of room under the dash (Miata/MX5 so things are tight as it is) so I ended up pulling a wire from the loom that came with the Intellistart, inserted that into the blank space on the Avantguard loom and Bob was my uncle !

A bit fiddly, but it worked ! The started up fine, I programmed the RPM setting, then set off. Opening the driver's door initiated the Blackjax routine - it's kinda scarey, and therefore well worth the money Clifford Avantguard- blackjax not workin -- posted image.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Dublin, Ireland
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  

Blackjax is primarily what SOLD me on the Avantguard 5 system.  I really think it has it all.  The ONLY thing that I'd ask for is 2 way remotes and several more aux output wires so that I could automate the entire car.

Quite the deal @ $350 though.

franksm 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  

What do you have plugged into the outputs ?

I only have the trunk/boot plugged into (I think) output C, but nothing else. I have a tiny siren on the door pillar just behind the driver's ear ;-) it's called a pain inducer. I might connect that to one of the outputs.

Need some other ideas

Dublin, Ireland
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  

I have Aux A wired to a 529T that rolls down the back windows for the wife when she need to load groceries without having to pop the hatchback.

Aux B is wired to headlight wire with a three minute timer so that she can have light if she's somewhere dark.  I love the timer feature.  She can push the button... on come the lights and she can just forget about it because they'll turn off automatically.

Aux C I wired to the lock wire and set it to trigger a timed output of 12 seconds upon arming of the alarm.  Grounding the lock wire acts like holding the key in the driver's door to the lock position which closes the front windows and sunroof.

I love the programmable outputs, but wish that there were two or three times that many.  I guess they can only fit so much onboard the brain without having to make it bigger to fit all the stuff.

I just watched your videos and I have to admitt that for a pain inducer, I'd prefer my Glock 21.  It's a .45 caliper handgun and I'd sure be inducing some pain on someone doing to my car what they did to yours.  It was making me angry just watching your videos. 

Well, hopefully the Clifford will help keep that from happening again.

The aux outputs can really control anything that requires electric or works with an electric switch.  You may have to relay, but some ideas that I had were defrost + heated mirrors on at remote start, head lights on, and sunroof open by remote (for venting on hot days).

I guess there's not a whole lot, but you could also ADD electrical equipment that you could run by remote control too (doesn't have to be factory installed stuff on your car).

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic