icon

Optima/Hawker/Stinger, which one for me

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BigTSetter 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
First off, this is my first post. I'm Very sorry if i'm in the wrong Forum. I don't mind at all if the Admins move to the appropriate Forum. I've searched a little but i didn't find what i need as my application is a little different.
I'll try and make this short:
Mod List:
175amp alternator
1 DEI 1100 amp
1 DEI 500 amp
2 1 Farad caps. 1 to each amp
3 Eclipse 12's
CarPuter, Car Computer or however you would like to say it. :)
0/2 guage from alternater
0/2 gauge battery ground
0/2 gauge from battery to splitter
4 gauge from splitter to amps.
Due to circumstances i'm forced to move the battry to the trunk. So, now size is not an issue, quality is.
I've personally killed 1 Optima Red Top. I know that for my situation is was not ideal but it worked great for the time.
I'm a little hesitant to purchse another Optima due to some other stories i've heard about them.
So i'm looking for a good reccommendation on a batter in the $150 or so range.
Any imput/questions/thoughts are more then welcome
Thanks again for your patience for a noob. :)
Bryan
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
I'm happy with my Optima Yellow top!
How exactly did you kill the red top?
WTB: Black Leather Acura GSR seats
cjandmjsmatrix 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
yea, the red top wasnt a deep cycle battery. its more of a starter battery.
im personally going with a hawker odyssey pc1200lmjt and its right in your price range.
BigTSetter 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 4:26 AM / IP Logged  
Well, i drained it too many times. It was all on accident but it was completely dead once and mostly dead the other two times. All of this was due to some electronic device staying on unknown to be. I finally figured out the problem and fixed it but now the battery will not hold Any charge.
I'm liking the Odyssey battery line more and more. In fact i think now i'm looking for a reason Not to.
I have not had any first hand experience with a Yellow Top. I'm sure people on hear will swear on them.
I would still like to hear from others on the matter.
Thanks to those who have responded though.
Bryan
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Yo BigT:
I just killed a Red Top myself.. it mades its last stand this last week before crapping out, actually, at an AutoZone so it worked out real well.
I actually got the guy behind the counter to TAKE BACK my 18-month old, highly abused battery, at FULL RETAIL and then credit it off the purchase of a new Yellow Top. Given that my battery is only two days old I can't really tell you that its a real winner, but so far it seems really neato...
To be honest, I'd probably go with something with a bit more storage in your case.. one of those Crazy Stinger dB batteries.. I dunno. I really just wanted to tell the AutoZone story. Best of luck man. =)
BigTSetter 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the above. I'm gald that there are a few of us that have killed those Red Tops, and it's not just my idiocy.
As for the size of the battery, yes i do have room. However, i'm not looking for the UBER Badass battery. I'm not going to be testing the reserve hardly ever but i do want some that if i want i can play/watch a movie in.
An example of overkill for me is the Odyssey 1700. Odyssey 1700 I'm also trying to save weight. This vehicle's purpose is for speed, not mobile audio.
Thanks for the advice
Bryan
bryan-j 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

I see alot of you guys posting that you've drained your optima batteries.  Optima batteries are gel cell technology.  This type of batter will never recharge to 100% compacity.  An alternative type of batter is a dry cell.  They claim to recharge to 100%.  Im not saying a cell wont go bad, but if your the type of user that drains and recharges alot.  This type of battery will suit you better.  I know this cause I distribute 12v accessories including batteries.  Off the top of my head SVR and Stinger are dry cell tech.  Not sure about Odyssey.  From my experience SPL guys will go for the dry cell.  Another benefit to a dry cell is spillage.  You can actually mount this battery inverted or at what ever desired angle.  I've also noticed dry cell tech batteries are priced cheaper per CCA. 

Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
get one of the huge marine deep cycle batteries at wallyworld for $70 (Maxx something??). Should work way better than any Optima.
-Drew
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
The Odyssey 1700?!
Haha that thing looks like it would be overkill for an Electric chair.
To be honest man, if your not looking for an uber-badass battery, but something highly competent... I again think you were probably sniffing up the right tree with the Optima Yellow.. there *is* a reason its the first battery everyone recommends.
You ought check out some competetion from Stinger, perhaps Odyssey (tho this is the first time i've heard of them), and another guy on this board is a real big fan of Kinetik batteries. (www.kinetikaudio.com)
As far as "saving weight," fyi, the Yellow top weights almost 50 lbs. I think they probably just get heavier. =/
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  

SEDATE....way to go man....thats the ticket....Not to many folks out there now how to "use" a battery for car stereo.

Listening to all the kids KILLING red, or yellow tops...........these are GREAT batterys...IF they are used properly.

Kinetik power cells are the BEST....for car audio application! cause thats what there built for.   NICE.

A red top optima will start your car for 20 years.....but it wont do sh*t for your sub amp!!!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic