icon

Lightweight Bass Performance

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bretto 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

I'm very curious as to what sort of set ups people have seen and heard that yield really good levels of bass without a whole lot of weight impeding on handling, braking and straight line performance.

My current setup comprises 2 Soundstream T4 12's in 2.2cu/ft seperate boxes using 25mm MDF and the whole setup is very heavy. i still want great bass (maybe not so loud as the T4's) yet want a relatively light set up.

Any idea's.            Also it doesn't have to be low budget stuff and i'm not real interested in a removable system as i would like power and tunes on tap whenever required.

Alpine 9815
Focal 165k3p
Soundstream T4 12's
Soundstream Van Gogh VGA500-4
Earthquake PHD
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe an aluminum box...Hey, if it doesnt have to be low budgetLightweight Bass Performance -- posted image. and if u want it still to look like a fiberglass box then have the aluminum box fabbed up so u can make a fiberglass cover...2-3 layers thick...then its light and looks like its fiberglass.
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
the aluminum is going to be too resonant to use as a speaker box. you can always go full fiberglass, i have a 1.5 cu.ft. box for a 12" speaker that weighs next to nothing and doesnt flex at all when you stand on it.
bretto 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  

i agree full fibreglass is a great option but then again small 18mm MDF enclosures don't weigh a real lot. The real problem is the driver's themselves which come in at approx. 15kg's each yet obviously a less serious driver is going to run less serious spl.

Im currently thinking maybe a pair of lower end fairly small magnet 15's or 12's which will run in smallish 18mm enclosures. While not being super light this will still achieve decent bass levels without being heavy enough to affect the car's dynamics.

Alpine 9815
Focal 165k3p
Soundstream T4 12's
Soundstream Van Gogh VGA500-4
Earthquake PHD
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
Just fill the box with helium before you install the driver...Lightweight Bass Performance -- posted image.
WTB: Black Leather Acura GSR seats

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic