icon

Fiberglassin Plastic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dray504 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

hey i have  a 99 accord that im wanting to fiberglass the door panels, the panels are like a hard plastic once u rip the vinyl and foam stuff off, i've heard differnt opinions on making fiberglass resin stick to the plastic, as far as roughing the plastic up or using kitty hair or a differnt substance on the plastic first to allow the fiberglass to stick, whats the best method and whats worked for everybody on fiberglassin plastic, THZ!!

please respond ASAP

ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
someone said to drill holes in the plastic and make sure you get some glass in there and the resin soaks through. Kinda aks like a FG screw.
I never tried it personally though
dray504 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

with drilling holes in the plastic do yall mean to drill str8 though the plastic or to drill like half way??? how far apart should the holes be??? will ruffing the plastic up be enough or any other methods????

THZ!!!

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
Drilling all the way thru is the only reliable method I've tried. Suffing it up usually doesn't work. Resin dosen't like to stick to plastic at all.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
dray504 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
ive been reading aliitle bit about fiberglassing plastic nad see some people use some typr of bondo-glass from like walmart, is that what its called??? is it regular bondo?? also i se people use kitty hair and that it sticks well to plastic, does that work good??? how much does kitty hair cost and what size container?? also i see some people use duramix, and it sticks well to plastic, i see duramix comes in differnt part numbers (4040, 4050, etc.), which one should use??? can u get kitty hair or duramix from walmart or u have to go to a paint shop. THZ
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
In the past i have drilled a crap load of 1/16 holes, and sanded with like 30 grit.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
dray504 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
i scruffed up  a section of the plastic and put some resin on that area to test it out, and it seems to hold up pretty good, it only comes off if i really stab at it, so i think it will be ok.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic