icon

The Apprentice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
I think apprenticeships for installers should be given only to experianced installers that want to learn more. Like the CC or BB installer that wants to learn FG or Motorization. Thats what I did. I ditched a regular job to kiss butt and work on expensive cars to learn how to be "custom" and see things through "custom" installer eyes. Probably the best experiance I've ever had. But it's crazy because once you get to that level people become stingy with knowledge.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm, I'd say to sufficiently train a competent installer, with half the knowledge an experienced one would have, well... Less than a year might not be enough time if you are already at the 6 month marker and only this far.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
I wish I had the opportunity that kid has. I know some of the guys at a shop near where I live. I wanted to get a internship with them this May becasue I have to do one for school (vocational class). Unfortunatly I couldnt get one there because of legal reasons and stuff (im only 17, etc, etc). I still might try at a few other places, but I dont know anyone at those places so they might not even consider me.
As far as teaching this kid, send him to this site, his homework should be to spend at least a hour a night here and on bcae1.com. I have learned so much from this site in the last year or so I cant even begin to explain it.
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  

Okies folks, meeting over.....I have to start looking for another PT installer (thank god!) and we are going to be keeping the app (umm, great!)

I will spend a bit of time with the neg guy and get him upto speed with the way our bay operates, the way I like things to be done basically. After that he will take over teaching the apprentice on the days that he is in, thus allowing me time to finish up reports, arrange meetings with corporate customers, peice together information nights/powerpoint presentations and generally try to drum up some more business.

I will take a look at this bcae1.com site, hopefully it will be of some use to us, being in Australia we do things a little differentally here but it should be the same....electrons only flow one way right? it's not like water the down the drain.....is it?The Apprentice - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

I just heard something break down in the bay! do I want to go look? No, I think I will wait another 10-15 minutes, I'm in a good mood at the moment, it doesn't happen around here all that often, lets not spoil the moment.

Once again guys, I appreciate all the help and responses, I will keep you posted when the new guy comes on board.

Raymond Wilkinson-Reed

Check all advice given with a meter
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic