the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

painting fiberglass for beginners?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Depends on how big it is, your location and who you know. Since your asking this question here I'm gonna go out on a limb and amssume you don't know a pianter. For a normal sized, two sub box, I would charge you $100 - $150. Prep paint and all. What you acctually end up paying depends on what shop you go to and if the painter is in a giving mood that day. I normally wouldn't recommend them, but if you have a Macco near you, go and look at some of their work. They will most likely do it real cheap.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
okay... so i decided to go forward in painting my sub box... so now im looking for an air brush gun, compressor and i need a primer...
i STILL dont understand what kind of primer i need << my biggest concern lol.. can some please explain what specific kind i need?
also for air brush gun... what are some key points i should look for? what are the main criteria/qualities i should look for in a gun?
also very lost on this one too.. air compressor... what kind should i get? what is needed (spec wise)? i wanna spend around 100 on this... not too much...
I plan on doing more fiberglass stuff so i dont want complete crap but i want some decent/good equipment... not pro stuff.. for the compressor i would like one that i could use for other things too...
Any help would be GREATLY appriciated.
thanks again
-benjamin
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&item=4540464653&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores
would this work? i really am clueless on air pressure systems... it its at a really high psi can you adjust it to really low psi? spray guns run on like 80psi correct?
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
okay last post... how about this one?
http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=22662&item=4370138134&rd=1
what air compressors (brand/model/price) do you use?
can anyone suggest a good craftsman air compressor (model)
as i will be going to sears to pick up a few more tools..
M&mfabrications 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Those compressors will be way to small to paint with. You will need one that is at least 30 gallons, and a 60 would be even better. I just recently bought a 60 gallon and you can expect to spend around $500 for one that size. You also need to make sure that the gun you buy matches the compressor. You need to know how many cfm of air the gun requires at a given pressure. Then you need  a compressor capable of delivering greater than that amount of air. A larger capacity compressor allows you to work longer without having to stop and wait for the pressure to build back up.
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
A larger capacity compressor allows you to work longer without having to stop and wait for the pressure to build back up.
is that what the gallons is for? if not what does the gallons mean? do i REALLY need atleast a 30 gallon? im only planning on painting a small sub box (single) i prally will use it more often but for 300-500 for an air compressor im starting to think its not worth it... can you rent them by anychance?
im planning on getting this one...
http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4540980325&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
what would be the best compressor for that?
thanks
-benjamin
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/comparingcompressors.php
is this info correct?
it states for spray gun you need minimum of 20 gallons..
the4biddendonut 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

A product that I used as a painter (construction painter, not an auto painter) a few times was an epoxy base that comes in a spray can.  It has an extremely glossy, nice finish that looked like it came from the factory.  I used it to paint small things when it was too much of a hassle to pull out the cap sprayer, like if i needed to paint an electric hand dryer and nothing else for example.  I don't know if a product like that would work well in this application or not.  What do you guys think?

You could also try looking into renting an electric HVLP sprayer.  That way you wouldn't need an air compressor.

I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. - Jack Handy
Dyson 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  

You need a large compressor, because you are constantly pressing the trigger, this means that air is rapidly disappearing, so if you have a small tank, and it runs out half way through your job, then you are going to have to wait for it to build up again, taking more time, and giving you an uneven finish. Same applys for any trigger air tools like DA sanders and die grinders etc.

lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
about how long will a 20 gallon last me? the surface is not more then 1.5 square feet... im thinking you prally need to apply a few layers.. so my though was get a decent size one do one layer. wait for pressure to build up then second layer and so on and so forth... would this be fine? im looking into a 25 gallon air compressor at pep boys...
Can you guys help again with matching the air gun to the compressor? like explain what needs to be matched with what? or a link that would provide detail for noobs like me... thanks.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic