icon

2nd battery or cap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
I swear alliegance to the second battery. I wouldn't use a cap to beat a police k9 if it were attaking me. But thats my opinion. What do you guys think. And where can I get a high output alternater for my honda accord?
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

An isolated second battery, or even a 3rd and 4th, is the only way to go.....Im with you on the whole "cap" thing. They were fun to look at and see all of the digital readouts and such .....but thats all.

I use and sell Kinetik power cells......    sorry no optima hear for me. Ya gotta have a good place to keep your juice, and I can keep more in one of these things than in an optima.    anyways........

www.kinetikaudio.com

dar1 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
The only way to acheive real power is through adding real power...Second battery wins out  all the time.
one love
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

Well, adding a second battery is only a help if you plan on running the system for a while with the car off. Plus, second battery equals more draw on the ALT. I am not against adding a second battery but, the ALT would be the first place to start.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
phr0stbyt3 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
sometimes adding a second battery can draw too much current from your alternator, putting an even greater strain on your system. caps blow and are completely useless IMO. if you're going to add a second battery you might want to consider upgrading your alternator.
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Check out www.mralternator.com I bought mine from there and it works great. Slow shipping though, mine took 1.5 weeks.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
Alternator...then multiple battery system.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

Guys, I'm pretty sure he already made it clear in the first post by saying "Where can I find a HO ALt for my car?" Moving on...

Battery for me. Hell my 105 amp alt is holding up with my system right now. (Volt gauge just put in so I can keep an eye out, so beautiful...)

Kartune, can you possibly explain the differences between Optima and Kinetik power supplies to me since you deal with the Kinetik. From what I could tell they looked like a breed of cap/battery which is just confusing to think about and I'm aware that they are both one in the same. I just don't get what the difference would be.

And why isolated? I mean I guess if you don't think about your electrical system when playing or have no way to tell how it is doing, that'd be good... But otherwise what is the point? Most guys I've talked to don't like isolators.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
I'd only go isolated if you plan on playing the stereo for long periods of time with the car off. Even without isolation you can still do this but with an isolator you run zero risk of draining your main battery.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
I've always isolated them because thats what I was shown to do. If you don't isolate them do you just hook 2nd battery up in parallel?
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic