the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1990 Pontiac Grand AM, replacing speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
Do anyone have directions on how to replace the front and rear speakers. I looked at this car and it seems like you have to remove the entire dash. Any help would differently be much appreciated.
MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
I can help you with the back ones, but the front ones on my 1996 are in the doors. I would put the new front ones in the doors(assuming the car is yours). Anyway the back ones can be removed from the trunk by taking a pair of pliers and backing the screws out. Then you can put the new ones back from underneath the deck. Thats a lot easier than taking all of the crap apart. Takes about 20 minutes that way.
'85 Toy
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
How did you get the old speakers themselves out without removing the rear deck?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 4:30 AM / IP Logged  
All you have to do once all 4 screws are out is tilt the speaker sideways are it will come out.
'85 Toy
meh66 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info and the car is not mine. I do have to get the dash speakers out as this person do not want to add extra holes in the interior. I think I have to remove the dash.
MEH66
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
That sucks!! Yeah, you probably will have to remove the dash, but try the rear like I said and see how that works for you.
'85 Toy
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
You know, you're right.  I forgot about that.  We had some girl come in our shop last week with a Grand Am, and I did notice that.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 90 grand prix and the dash has clips beneath it that latch the top cover over the speaker housings but it dose encompass the whole top surface of my dash. It takes som prying at first but the clips give way and the whole top surfacing comes right off. Pushing the metal back into the metal clips isn't too hard either. I had to do this to rewire my front right speaker when I first bought my car.

meh66 
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Update,
I completed the speaker install and it took about 2.5 hours. The extra half an hour was because the speakers they bought for the front did not fit and some modifications had to be made. The rear was straight forward after getting the rear deck off. The front was not as bad as I originally thought. There was about twenty screws not counting the screws to get the speakers off the dash panel. You need a phillips head, 7 mm socket, and a hex screw driver to get the job done. You have to remove all the heater vents (there should be five),a panel that says grand am on the passenger side, and a trim plate above the speed odometer cluster to expose all the screws. After getting all the screws out the top half of the dash comes out. Hope someone find this useful.
MEH66

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic