icon

1998 toyota corolla, speaker upgrades

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robfontelera 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

i have a 1998 toyota corolla and desperately needs an upgrade on the door speakers.  when i took the door panel off, i noticed the there are no screws to take the speaker off the door.....it seems as if the speaker is part of the adapter and the adapter is reivited onto the door itself.

any suggestion on getting the door speakers off?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
Drill out the rivets, trace the adaptor onto a piece of 1/4" mdf or abs and cut out a new speaker hole for the speaker you wish to mount.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
robfontelera 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
Drill out the rivets, trace the adaptor onto a piece of 1/4" mdf or abs and cut out a new speaker hole for the speaker you wish to mount.

how big does the drill bit have to be? when i put the spacer back in, do i just screw into the door?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
The bit needs to be big enough to take the top of the rivet heads off, then they will fall out. Yes, screw the new plate to the existing sheetmetal close to the old rivet hole.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
robfontelera 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

right on forbidden.....big help, thanks.

vseth 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

New to this, will be upgrading my corolla 98 speakers as well, so wanted to verify:

"onto a piece of 1/4" mdf or abs and cut out a new speaker hol"

What r you referring to with "mdf" or "abs". Thanks.

vseth 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Hi robfontelera, how'd your upgrade go ... any other special thing that you came across ( tricks or warnings ). Did you endup having to take-off the weather proofing ???
robfontelera 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

vseth wrote:
Hi robfontelera, how'd your upgrade go ... any other special thing that you came across ( tricks or warnings ). Did you endup having to take-off the weather proofing ???

no need to take off the weatherproofing...i just used a 1/4" drill bit to drill out the rivets and the speaker adapter just came off.  i jused a 1/2" thick mdf board and traced the old speaker adapter onto it and cut out a hole to where the speaker was going to go, then cut out the pattern that i traced, screwed on the new adapter using 1" long self tapping screws onto the door, wired the speaker, and screwd it onto the new adapter.....i'm using 6.5" pheonix gold octane r.  fits perfect.  i still have to cut out a hole for the tweets, thank i'm done.  not as hard as i thought, just take your time and don't rush.

vseth 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Did you end up using stock wiring for the speakers, or re-wired the four speakers.
robfontelera 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

vseth wrote:
Did you end up using stock wiring for the speakers, or re-wired the four speakers.

i ended up using the stock wires.  i wanted to route new wires, but got lazy.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic