icon

kicker or mtx for sq

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gladbach 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
I am looking to put together either an mtx or kicker full system. (amps, speakers, subs) and am having a hard time deciding. looking at 7500 series subs, or the L5s...
I am leaning towards mtx pretty heavily, as they are a known factor to me, but the kicker L5s are tempting, even though they are more for spl than sq...
anyone listened to the new mtx coaxials? i really have been impressed by them in the past, but these seem to be a new design.
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
go with MTX. kicker sucks. plus you wont have to take out a second mortgage on your house.
nismo350z 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
I hadnt heard kickers before the other day. And let me say they bump. Real hard, their sq sucks though, i couldnt of been more disapointed with an sq of a sub. Thats the only input i have. I'm still waiting on my 1200 watt amp for my subs (two dvc perfect infinity 10")
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
well...i'm running a pair of MTX 12"  8000's off my old kenwood X401 amp, i've got my subs in a rather small box (1.15 cu/ft per sub sealed box ) hitting 143db's with a really impressive solid bass,  doesn't matter the music they still play it nicely and solid, i work at a shop that we just got the new kicker stuff,  to be honest, i'm not impressed with the L5's, i let one L5 and L7 play for a while to break them in and listened to them, for what the L7 put  out i almost laughed when i went back to the L5, but  aside from that, i never noticed much for a solid clean bass. i wouldn't  try and listen to any heavy metal or alternative with that sub like i have with my mtx.  to make a long story short...go MTX  and like ss said...you aint gotta take out the second mortgage
gladbach 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, I had pretty much already decided mtx, but thought I would get peoples input.   and you are right, kicker is great for spl, esp the l5 and 7s due to the higher surface area for their size, but the sq isnt there. and really, thats what I care about most, I don't need people hearing me blocks away, but I would like to be able to show off once in a while if I want to.   the 7500 mtx 12s are the way to go, definately sealed box. probably the new ta7801 monoblock, and the ta3404 4channel, with mtx 6x9 and 4x6 coaxials, and 6.5 components in the kicks.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
neither brands are know for exceptional SQ, but I'd say kicker would be better for SQ overall, depending on what you get from them.
Paul
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Aparently the new MTX Thunder Axe components are suposed to be pretty sweet.  Something to look into.  Both companys are known for excellent amplifiers, but lately kicker has been gearing toward spl only in there speaker department, and mtx has been keeping with their routes.  Personally i would chose MTX.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 4:17 AM / IP Logged  

I would have to agree on the MTX Route. I personally am running 2 MTX MXS1004's powered by an 801D and a set of 6000 components. To be honest, I am an SQ freak and the subs are pretty clean. I can't give u any input on the 7500's as I have not heard them yet but, I have heard both the l5's and the l7's and they both suck for SQ. All of the MTX's that I have listened to have sounded much better than the Kickers. And as stated previously, you won't have to take out a second mortgage.

But, in the end, it's you that must make the final decision so, try to listen to both set up's before you invest your hard earned cash.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
glowstickninja 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
It really ll depends on what setup your looing for, i have heard exception sq from a kicker sub, but you will have to run them at or a little above their rms. Knowing this you have to have the complete alternator, battery, amp and caps for a great realese of power. I have an L7 and run 1200 watts into the single sub and it bumbs loud as a train! and it is very clear.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
I would also go with MTX. I've been pretty surprised with their new subs, but haven't heard much of their components. However, if I was going for a SQ setup, kicker would be one of my last choices. They can bump like crazy, but SQ...nope.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic