the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ebay Scam

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

Just to show some of you how easy it is to get burned on E-Bay. I have a customer (two actually) that want a Pioneer Avic N1. A quick E-bay search shows a person with a toll free number. A call to him shows that he is in Nova Scotia and that he made a volume purchase of 85 of these units and he still has some left. Now when I asked him about warranty, he tells me that when I buy it, the warranty is transferred into my name from his. Now at this point I tell him I am a dealer and ask him where he bought these from, Canada, USA or somewhere else. His reply is that he bought them in Hong Kong.

So kiddies, this means absolutely no warranty in Canada, the USA or pretty much anywhere. Buyer beware. The next question is simple, is the unit a knock of clone, a refurb unit sold as new and as it was meant for the overseas market, does the dvd actually even work with our dvd zone...... see how easy it is to get burned on-line....

Authorized Canadian dealers, I need 2 of these, send me a PM if you have any available please.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

Good warning.  I believe the FM reception band in different as well. 

There is an eBay seller hawking Nakamichi car audio gear as "The last lot in the world!"  He is correct, as Nakamichi is no longer making car audio equipment, but he is in Hong Kong and the "lot" he has was intended for the Asian market, so FM reception may not function, there is no warranty available in N. America, it may be B-stock or refurb or even a knock-off, etc.  He lists the MB-100 for $657 for example, which is a great price until you realize it may or may not function and you have no recourse if there is a problem.

eBay can be your friend if you are careful and wise, but it can also be the biggest rip-off market in the world.

Support the12volt.com
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

Ok so you use your companies purchase account to get it for testing purposes only  and your corporate shipping account and ship it back to hong kong for warranty service if needed without you paying a dime

See A valid solution I do this every damn day for comptuer parts, miscellaneous equipment around the office and for audio and video equipment

Now I know not everyone can do this, I just wanted to interject some evil idea into peoples heads Ebay Scam -- posted image.

Take it easy all , its all good and all about fun

---Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
mrflip69 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

Don't they sell frequency converters so you can use those units internationally? I know a place that sells high end head units from Japan that does this.

P.S. FM sucks in the states anyway ;)

Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Just to show some of you how easy it is to get burned on E-Bay. I have a customer (two actually) that want a Pioneer Avic N1. A quick E-bay search shows a person with a toll free number. A call to him shows that he is in Nova Scotia and that he made a volume purchase of 85 of these units and he still has some left. Now when I asked him about warranty, he tells me that when I buy it, the warranty is transferred into my name from his. Now at this point I tell him I am a dealer and ask him where he bought these from, Canada, USA or somewhere else. His reply is that he bought them in Hong Kong.

So kiddies, this means absolutely no warranty in Canada, the USA or pretty much anywhere. Buyer beware. The next question is simple, is the unit a knock of clone, a refurb unit sold as new and as it was meant for the overseas market, does the dvd actually even work with our dvd zone...... see how easy it is to get burned on-line....

Authorized Canadian dealers, I need 2 of these, send me a PM if you have any available please.

Good warning!! I would have asked for serial #'s then called Pioneer to verify..

Eclipse "Approaching Perfection"
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 4:08 AM / IP Logged  

Very good warning. I buy and sell on E-Bay all the time. The fact that I am on a budget due to having 4 kids, keeps me going back to E-Bay to purchase my gear but, a few tip's that I give to most people that ask me about buying on E-Bay are:

#1 Buy from dealers that are linking with E-Bay to boost their bussiness.

#2 Feedback Feedback Feedback, The higher a sellers feedback, the more trustworthy they are.

#3 Ask questions before you buy. If you have any questions about a product that you find on E-Bay, do some research on the item before you buy it.

I personally have been using E-Bay for over 3 years and not once have I had a problem. But, as DYohn Quoted:

eBay can be your friend if you are careful and wise, but it can also be the biggest rip-off market in the world.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
racer427 wrote:

#2 Feedback Feedback Feedback, The higher a sellers feedback, the more trustworthy they are.

Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I won't buy from anyone who doesn't have a 100% perfect feedback record. Just because they have a feedback of 5879 with a percentage of 99.9 doesn't mean they won't rip you off. However, if I get tempted enough, I do research their feedback to see exactly why they received a negative or neutral to see if it's just "revenge" feedback or if it is a legitimate gripe. But that's about as far as I go - 100% feedback for me all the way! (and even then you can still get ripped off, or have situations that forbidden and others have mentioned...)

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
in general, always go with, "if it seems too good to be true, it probobly is." Not to say I haven't scored big on ebay cos one's trash may be my treasure, but either way, it's all trash to my girlfriend.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic