icon

the big three wire upgrades

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
projectprotege 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  

i tried a search both on here and yahoo and came up with nothing. i found im going to have to replace my wiring under the hood to some thicker stuff...now this might be an overkill but better safe then sorry right?

anyways im planning on running 1/0 wire to replace everything. my questions are...

1)should i go for 1/0 welding cable? or just 1/0 regular power cable? which will hold up best against heat/corrosion?

2) the things i upgrader are....

1.+ terminal from battery to starter.

2.- terminal from battery to engine ground.

3. and body ground to engine ground.

this right? if not where exactly do i run the wires to?

Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  

from positive terminal on battery to altenator....

from neg/Batt to frame

You shouldnt need to do the wire from battery to starter unless you just want to ....This is not a part of the charginf system...But hey if you gots the 1/0 and feel froggy go for it...

the big three wire upgrades - Last Post -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
for the wire that goes from the alternator to the battery...does it go DIRECTLY from the batt. terminal on the alt to the + terminal on the battery?  i was looking at mine and it goes into my wiring harness which is wrapped up and goes thru my firewall...so i have no idea where it goes from the alternater.   Will hooking it up directly mess up anything, such as the alt light being on or anything? 
projectprotege 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
well i figured as long as im redoing the grounds...i might as well redo the power too lol
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

Wow man, your keen!!! I would not have thought that you would gain that much from doing this, but I guess any resistance down your cable is EVIL and must be eradicated!!

Like Asmodeus said, I wouldn't bother with the Starter lead, it won't help your motor start faster.

Check all advice given with a meter
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

nevermind my question....i found my answer. 

projectprotege 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

sh*t i meant alternator...sorry i was up for like 24 hours when i wrote that lol....

ok to sum it up....

1. + from battery to alternator...

2.- to frame

3. frame to body...right?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
4. From the engine block to the chassis (frame) or body.
Welding cable will usually have a MUCH higher temperature insulation on it, (this is good for underhood uses)as well as being way more flexible, and probably less expensive, to boot...
Yes, that is correct, but just to clear things up, the "Big Three" is not the wires... the wires are ONE PART of the "Big Three". The other two are alternator and battery. You will gain VERY little by simply upgrading your underhood cabling, you need at LEAST the alternator as well... (Battery can happen later.)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
projectprotege 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
i know, i have a new battery going in...but for the life of me i cannot find a HO alternator for my car...its a 97 mazda protege LX....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic