icon

setting gains

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sts15l7 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

i know this has been discussed before, but i just had a question...

i plan to do this with a multimeter (that seems safest...i dont wanna overpower my sub). the amp is an audiobahn a2300hct, and the sub is a elemental design e15ae. i wanna put 1000 watts to it at 1 ohm. the other day, i had my head unit up 3/4 of the way and i was checkign what my amp's ac output was on the channels. i know the amp was set to power my previous subs: 2 15inch L7s with about 1100 watts to each. when i checked the ac voltage with my multimeter, however, i got about 92 volts, which doesnt make sense because sqrt (2200*1) is about 47 V.

is my best bet to set the gains by ear? the reason why im reluctant to do this is because i heard this sub is real 'delicate'...it can easily get permanent damage if its overpowered...plz help...

Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Nah, it wound't hurt your sub to set the gains by ear. The worst you're gonna get is some clipping for a few seconds util you back the gains down a bit. But a few seconds worth isn't going to hurt the sub.
Be sure to wear ear protection.
Paul
sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

how do i know when im sending the sub too much power? is this when u start to hear the distortion? i know how distortion sounds on speakers, but how does it sound on subs? will it be pretty obvious to me?

i think i'm just a little too paranoid cuz its my first time. thanks tho paul, and anyone else who gives input...

Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, you'll hear audible distortion.
1)Play a 60Hz test tone thru the HU
2)Turn the gain on the amp all the way down.
3)Turn the HU up until you hear distortion (or until it dosen't sound like it's getting any louder)
4)Back the volume down a lil bit
5)Turn the gains on the amp up until you heard distortion (or until it dosen't sound like it's getting any louder)
6)Back the gain down a lil bit.
Or, if you're doing it with a multimeter:
1)Same as above
2)Same as above
3)Measuring from the amp output, turn the HU up until the voltage dosen't go any higher.
4)Same as above
5)Measuring from the amp output, turn the gain up until the voltage dosen't go any higher.
6)Same as above
Paul
sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

francious,

if i do it using a multimeter ur way, how do i know how much power the subs are getting?

i think my best bet is probably to use my ears and do it...

hopefully i dont mess anything up setting gains - Last Post -- posted image.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  

Paul,

that multimeter method is not accurate at all.  AC voltage is actually an RMS value, so as the signal clips, even though the peak voltage is not rising, the average value is still rising.  Just something to keep in mind.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic