icon

Toyota Corolla LE 1998 Firewall

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vseth 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

Installing alarm/starter plus rough-in wiring for an audio upgrade, so I need to run a 8g wire from the battery for powering both the amp and the alarm/starter, will also need to wire the tachometer signal from the ignition coil. The car's an automatic, been reading through the firewall topics in the forum, a lot of them talk about using the area where the klutch would have been. Any input from people who've run wiring through the firewall in the 1998-2001 corolla would be great, is there already a place where I can run the wires through, or will I need to drill. If drilling is required, what would be the best place to do so ?

robfontelera 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

found your post...

well the way i ran my wire was through an existing rubber gromet(i think that's what you call it) on the passengers side.  it has a couple of pipings going through it already.  all i did was cut a slit with a razir and fed my power cable through it.  use some wd40 on the wire so it slides through easier, it helps a lot.  i routed the power cable on that side of the car (passenger side).  all my patch cables and speaker wires were routed on the drivers side.

i've read a few other posts saying that they drilled through the firewall, and i was planning to do it that way, but hesistated because of the fact that i don't know what's on the other side, and i might drill through some existing wires or something.

for that slit that i made to get the wire through....i used some silicone sealant so it would be closed......didn't want to leave it open.

well, that's the way i ran the power wire through.  your other questions i couldn't answer, because i never did an alarm.  i hope i helped you a little bit.

anim8r 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

There's also a grommet in the driver's side wheel well.  Jack your car up, take off that tire, remove some panelling, and go nuts :D  I can 4 guage through that (no problem?) Good Luck.

vseth 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hi robfontelera, could'nt find the existing grommet. Do I have to remote some of the carpet to get to it ? Is it on the center console side or the door side of the passenger area.
vseth 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Would a 4g or 8g fit through this grommet ?
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
You can fit a 0 gauge through that rubber grament. It's a very big hole. Cut an X on the rubber grament, it makes it a lot easier to feed your wires through. No need for drilling through the firewall.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Toyota Corolla LE 1998 Firewall - Last Post -- posted image.
robupnya 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
vseth wrote:
Hi robfontelera, could'nt find the existing grommet. Do I have to remote some of the carpet to get to it ? Is it on the center console side or the door side of the passenger area.

i used the grommet on the passenger side...i fit a 4 ga through there with help form wd40.  just cut a slit or an x and you should be fine.  it will go through behind the glove box. you should be able to fell it once you push some wire through it.
nicorolla 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
for the tach, you will not be able to wire it to the coil because there isn't one. You must wire it to the tach wire behind the guage cluster, this is where i got my hooked up. I don't remember exactly which wire it is on top of my head but i do remember that it's in the left harness. You should be able to locate it without any problem.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic