icon

I need to turn $300 into speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
So I have a really crappy job waiting tables and usually I make no money what-so-ever and am chronically broke.
Just so happens, of all things, I make like way more money than usual tonight and I really wanna do something about my wasted set of JL Audio VR series comp's I have now (the 5 1/4 midrange is busted and in the 4 week process of getting fixed.. so my semi-shady JL dealer told me)... either way I was thinking about getting a new set of front comps for awhile now and this would I think, be a great time.
I'm really sensitive to harsh highs and I always tend to run my tweeters at full-negative attenuation (whatever is the highest setting on the crossover.. on the VR's, -3dB) and, anecdotally, silk tweets are the way for me. Still, I demoed some Alpine SPA-156A's (I think), which had a 1-inch silk dome tweeter and a 2-step adjustable crossover.. I thought "perfect" but the salesmen just had to ruin my intent by showing me a pair of MB Quart Reference 5 1/4's, which were also *highly* impressive... A/B comparision would definately fall to the Quart's.
So now i'm kinda lost... my JL dealer offered me a set of Boston Pro's for $350 and I was thinking I could scrape up the extra $50.
Anyone have some suggestions on where to look? Comparable or better sound to a set of JL VR525's?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 2:53 AM / IP Logged  
I would stay jl i like to keep my system the same if all possible, but the mb quart and the bostons are great sounding either one would be a nice addition
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
Yea I could throw in another set of VR speakers.. they sound amazing... but I kinda wanted to do things at least a *little* differently.
Besides, I'm about to get rid of that stupid 13w6 so the "JL Theme" doesn't really matter anyway..
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
Yea i would get rid of it to everyone thinks jl is all that and my poor boy little fosgate p3 sounds better and will get more spl than the jl, but i can say that i do like the w3's. I have more of my customers say they are dissapointed in the jl w6, w7's, and wish the eclips would hit harder. I have them looke at either the fosgates or the new line of directed audio subs that i just got in amazing sound and very loud. Even the new kenwood excelon subs are nice they can even pound harder than the eclips titaniums, but sound a bit muddy unless driven with a lot of power. and all cost lots less.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
<TELL ME ABOUT IT>
That stupid W6 was $450, AND that was like 20% off retail...
its certainly a *clean* woofer... I've never heard anything make such subtle distinctions so low in the spectrum.. but there is absolutely no volume what-so-ever... really not much louder than a single 12W0 I had in my car wayyy back when I started my system... and that is a *cheap* sub. Seriously I have my w6 gettin almost twice RMS.. about 800 watts... and still almost nuthin out of it.. it sucks.
I was thinking about a pair of Eclipse 12's.. but I'll prolly go with my perennial favorite: the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1's.
I was also thinking of 3 Infinity Reference 10's... I could run a solid 200 watts to each of 'em and I bet that would *pound*.. I'm kinda worried about transient response and what-not though with subs that cheap...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

I'll say it again: go shopping.  Go out and listen and buy whatever you can afford that sounds good to you.   That's all that matters.

Oh, and the recomendation that you "keep the system all the same" is 100% a matter of personal preference.  There is no real reason to do this other than if you want to, or if you are being paid to!

Support the12volt.com
oatmeal 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Since you heard them already why don't you just buy them online for cheapers?
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=11416
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=357&1=359&3=2021
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=237&1=238&3=1254
Or does this forum frown on non authorized dealers? If they aren't authorized, makes you wonder how they got all that inventory in the first place.... I've never been able to figure that one out. They even sell Memphis online:
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=374&1=376&3=3356
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, in general this forum frowns on non-authorized dealers. 

But more than that, this forum tends to want people to understand what they get when they purchase from non-authorized dealers.  In general this means loss of factory warranty, possible B-stock or refurbished products or even fakes (which is one way non-authorized dealers "got all that inventory") and the hassle of dealing with internet sellers and having to mail gear back and forth in case something does go wrong.  The best way to get support and service for any product is to purchase from authorized retailers, and the best authorized retailers are the ones with businesses in your town.  Plus, I always recomend you never, ever purchase audio equipment based on brand name, friend's (or internet) recomendations, looks, or price alone.  What matter is how it sounds TO YOU and unless you have actually listened to something you do not KNOW how it sounds to you.  There is nothing worse than spending money, installing a piece of gear, firing it up the first time with that feeling of expectation, and being disapointed by what you hear.  Shopping for price alone is a fools game.  Plus, be sure to include the cost of shipping and handling and possible taxes VS only local taxes in any Internet/local price comparison.

Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks DYohn for making my speech for me! I have a TON of install work to do today ( 3 JL 13.5"  W1V2s in a custom box) I don't know if I could of made the "non-athorized" dealer rant today. lol
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sure when you go shopping and tell the sales dude how much money your willing to spend its way better than telling him what kind of sound you want and all that bs. From a sales prospective it's easier to work with a budget. So go shopping and FLASH THAT DOUGH!
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic