icon

overall system question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cgullett 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

I have a huge question that I want to throw out there. If you can help me i would greatly appreciate it, and if you can't thanks for looking. Anyways back to buisness.

I just installed my system and it sounds like crap and i can't tell whats wrong. I will try to lay it out for you. I guess what i'm really looking for is; what to adjust the gain at, cd player system settings, speaker wirings, etc....

I have a 2000 Mits galant with the infinty sound system. That is (2)6x9 in rear (2) 6x3/4(i think) in front doors (2) tweeters and (1) 3x1/4 in the middle of the dash. I also have (2) 10ich 4ohm dual voice coil 400w max power Rockford Punch HE (RFP3410) i have bandpass box, but i have access to a sealed box if that is better.

As for amps i have a 2ch Sony 222w pushing my 6x9's. I currently have it hooked up via rca's and running strainght to each speaker.  These are the specs...

MOSFET Power Supply

35W x 2 RMS @ 4-Ohms (100W x 2 Max)
80W x 1 RMS @ 4-Ohms (222W x 1 Max)
High Level Speaker Input
Dual Mode Capable
4 Volt Input
Gold Plated Terminals
Frequency Response: 5Hz-80kHz

For my subs i have a pioneer 2ch 760w. I have the gain all the way up and the  bass boost all the way up. Also i have the the low pass filter on. I have each sub running off each channel. here are the specs for this amp.

• 760 WATTS MAX
  • PWM REGULATED MOSFET POWER SUPPLY
  • BALANCED ISOLATOR INPUT CIRCUIT
  • BASS BOOST : 50Hz/0~6~12dB
  • S/N RATIO : 95dB
  • FREQUENCY REQPONSE : 10 - 50,000Hz +0/-1dB
  • SIZE : 11-13/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 12-1/8"L
  • RMS 125 WATTS x 2CH @ 4OHM
  • RMS 190 WATTS x 2CH @ 2OHM
  • RMS 380 WATTS x 1CH @ 4OHM

And for my cd player.

I have the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X789 and it has more features than i know what to do with, i've provided a link from crutchfield if that can help.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fZGArP6XIoB/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=113KDCX789

Since i have so many speakers in my car, i have the rear outputs of the cd player wired to my door speakers, and the front outputs wired to my tweeters and middle speaker.

I think thats it is it, if i missed anything please let me know. Also i have a few extra bucks to spend so if i am in need of somthing please let me know. I've been thinking about getting new subs so if there are some subs out there that would better fit into my system please let me know.

Again thanks for lookin and someone please help me

Thanks

racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

First, wire the subs to generate a 4ohm load and bridge the amp. Subs are better run in a mono configuration rather than a stereo configuration.

Second, do you have a crossover between the 6 3/4" and the tweets?

Third, what are you looking to acheive, SQ or SPL?

Forth, get rid of the bandpass and use the sealed enclosure if you are looking for quality sound from the subs.

As far as the gains, they are not a volume controll, here is a link to a form dealing with gain setting.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=52631&KW=gain

And I myself feel that you need to add a quality 4 channel amd the the system for the front speakers. Adding a 4 channel amp will greatly help with sound quality from the front channel. That is all I have for right now. I am sure that you will get many answers to your problem.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Turn your bass boost down also. It sounds like your system is clipping something awful.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
1) Learn what gain is. It is not a volume control. Turn it all the way down. Then learn how to set it correctly.
2) Learn that you probably should have taken your system to an installer, because you obviously don't know what's going on.
3) Learn that you probably would have learned if you would have done a few hours of research first, instead of jumping right in.
4) Turn your bass boost off.
5) Stop bridging your head unit. Seriously.
6) I would personally suggest still taking your entire system to an installer and having them fix everything. Seriously, if these mistakes were made there could be more critical electrical mistakes that could kill your system or set your car on fire. Once you have a professional fix and set your system, sit down with http://www.bcae1.com/ Read it inside and out. If that is over your head read http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ 10 times.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds kind of like my first system....
First of all set the gain correctly (i belive a link was posted above) and turn the bass boost off.
Do not run those amps to the 6x9s, those are stock 6x9s correct?? Buy a good set of componet speakers for the front of the car, you will only need one amp to run both speakers. Take out the 6x9s, or leave them unamped for rear-fill.
Lose the bandpass box, they sound terrible. Put the subs in a seled box that is TO SPEC FOR THE SUBS!!
Dont even bother hooking up that middle speaker, and dont bridge the headunit, you wouldnt want to fry a $350 iten would you?
If you do all this and it still sounds like crap, take it to a shop. Also do all teh reading you can on bcae1.com and this site, it will help you out.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

the more speakers the better

j/k

All of the above advice is good, but don't get caught up on the technical yet.  Remove everything you put into that car and let's start over from day 1.  Let us know when you've removed everything and read the Crutchfield pages on installation basics.

Oh, and make sure you remove the negative battery terminal, rendering the car electrically impotent, before you start removing any wires.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
cgullett 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

Ok here is where i'm at now,

I've changed boxes, and i can already see a little differnece in my bass. I've adjusted the gain and turned the bass boost off on my amp.

Here is where i've got questions? I have the Premium sound package in my car, and everything was factory when i got it. There was a factory amp underneath the passanger seat. I took out the amp and rewired the speakrs to the back of my cd player. What i noticed when i did it, was the middle speaker is hooked up to the left tweeter. Should i buy crossovers and from my doors to tweeters, and unhoook the middle speaker?? Also I really don't know what you mean by bridging my headunit, if someone could tell me that would be great.

As for wiring the subs to the amp, how would i do that??

And i'm sorry i'm a newbie, i guess we all have to start somewhere.I just wanna learn as much as i can.

Anyways, if you have any more suggestions let me know, i know someone said getting a 4ch for my doors?

Thanks

cgullett 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, i'm looking for a clean cut system. Good Highs w/  nice bass in the back. If that helps any
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
I would completely unhook the middle speaker. Unless you watch movies in car it is probably worthless. This should ease up some on your head unit.
Have you read http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ for how to wire subwoofers?
Look: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-PL33ISZQGTe/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html
Also, you're right. Crossovers are needed on tweeters.
I would still recommend taking your car to an installer.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic