Crossovers Live Where?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven6095 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

Hi. Have new MB Quart components.

Where do the crossovers go in relation to the speakers?
I have heard some say as close to the speakers as possible, other installs I have seen them in the trunk?

Comments?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
As close as is practical is ALWAYS your best bet, but avoud IN the doors... too many environmental impacts there...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
As close as is practical is ALWAYS your best bet, but avoud IN the doors... too many environmental impacts there...

That and it is becomming pretty cliche to showcase your crossovers on your doors, it is just overdone.

eh? what did you just say?
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah Just pulled out my infinity crossover from inside my doors and screws are missing and rusted. I don't know how the screws got backed out. Everything was cool just a year ago. But I'd still put them in the door of my new car... too lazy to make them a home.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

5150azn wrote:
Yeah Just pulled out my infinity crossover from inside my doors and screws are missing and rusted. I don't know how the screws got backed out. Everything was cool just a year ago. But I'd still put them in the door of my new car... too lazy to make them a home.

Put a bag around them if you have to put them inside the doors.

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

So distance between the crossovers in the trunk (mounted on a little board or amp rack) be okay for the front door speakers?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't do it that way. As I said, AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE... A speaker wire that long WILL add apprecialble capacitance and inductance to the load, thereby affecting the crossover point. If not bad enough, it will still likely have a noticeable effect on the frequency response of your system. Bury 'em in the kick panels... this usually works pretty well. If they are too big, you can sometime bury them up in the dash, depending on the car you have, but keep tham AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE DRIVERS!!!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  

Understand. That is why I asked :)

Under the front seats should fit. That would be close enough?

Try to get them mounted up under the dash, but they are huge in my opinion :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic