icon

fiberglass over bondo?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TwinTurbo 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
I am in the middle of working on my first FB prject. Its a rear dash/amp enclosure for a 94 300zx with mounts for some mids and a cooling fan. I bulit the mold, streched fleece over it, soaked that with resin and have the first layer of glass on already. The problem is now there are some parts that the intended shape didnt exactly take and I was wondering if it is recomended to apply some bondo to get the shape I want and then continue with the fiberglass layers after that? or should I just continue with the glass layers and then bondo in the end? Sorry no pics the wife is out of town with the camara at the moment.
Dyson 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  

best way i find, if you have streched the fleece, is to strengthen the inside of the box, and then use a body filler to shape any creases or ripples in the fabric. mix up a batch of resin and fumed silica to a thixotropic paste and pour all over the inside of the box, the other expensive way is to bondo the inside of the box aswel.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
Not a good idea to put resin on top of bondo. Finish laying up your glass, then come back with the bondo.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
ncrxsi 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

Something else you may want to consider using when trying to build up a specific area is using dyna-glass (bondo mixed with fiberglass strands(bought that way)) there are other names for it as well, kitty hair etc, it comes in short hair, long hair and a version which you can't hardly see the hairs in it.  You can pick it up at most parts stores etc. 

But as the others have stated, get your glassing done, then you could use to build up the area you need to.  For buildup, this is a lot more effective than using bondo, requires less material than bondo and it is also less likely to crack like bondo sometime does when used to build up something to thick.

Dean
ncrxsi 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

Something else you may want to consider using when trying to build up a specific area is using dyna-glass (bondo mixed with fiberglass strands(bought that way)) there are other names for it as well, kitty hair etc, it comes in short hair, long hair and a version which you can't hardly see the hairs in it.  You can pick it up at most parts stores etc. 

But as the others have stated, get your glassing done, then you could use it to build up the area you need to.  For buildup, this is a lot more effective than using bondo, requires less material than bondo and it is also less likely to crack like bondo sometime does when used to build up something to thick.

Dean
Stanford1621 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2005 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
What I did was cut up a bunch of leftover pieces or mat and seperated it into seperate fibers then mixed that up in the resin it worked perfect and is probaly the only thing that will work on right angles. 
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Hey will I be ok if I start doing more layers of glass over the bondo. I put a thin layer of bondo over the glass mold I made for my wheel well, but then realized it was to thin and now I want to add more layers of fiberglass.
fiberglass over bondo? -- posted image.
fiberglass over bondo? -- posted image.
danieljaluise 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
well.. im gonna fiberglass over the bondo anyway, because i dont think anyone knows what will happen. i think it will be fine.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Honestly I would just trash that and start over, rather than take a chance of problems down the road. If you only have 1 layer of glass with bondo on it, starting over shouldn't take long at all. If you really want to go with that one, I would try and sand most of the bondo off and make sure your last sanding is with a rough grit. What are you trying to make anyway? If it's a sub enclosure for the wheel well, there's no reason to use any bondo on the inside like that.
Mike
danieljaluise 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I know I F'ed up using bondo on the inside of the wheel well enclosure I'm making. It was totally unnecessary and a waste of 10 dollars, but it didn't cause any problems. I put down two more layers of FG last night and this morning it looks fine.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic