icon

Proximity Sensor - in truck bed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Smoke Signals 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  

I have a Viper 791xv in my 2000 F250 and want to "protect" the stuff that I sometimes leave in the truck bed. I was thinking about using one of the DEI 508D Prox sensors but wanted to ask the experts.

Are these sensors suitable for use in a truck bed (water proof). If so where would be the best place to mount the sensor. Also with the bed being open, should I be worried about false alarms from people walking by. Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
it should be ok to use
if you adjust the sensitivity right it will not be triggered by people going by. but it might trigger the warning signal. if its placed right it should protect the bed from anyone leaning into it and the alarm will sound
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

These units are NOT water proof and are NOT even water resistant.  DEI strongly recommends against placing any sensor, window module, alarm brain, etc. outside of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, but if water gets in your sensor your liable to get false alerts or NO alerts (which would defeat the purpose of installing the sensor anyway).

I'm sure that there is "someway" that this can be done, but it doesn't sound like the way that you've described is the best way (just my opinion).

Keep in mind that metal blocks the signal from the prox, so anything that you set in the truck that is metal is going to cause interference and can cause falsing or perhaps not trigger the alarm when it should.

You've actually got a pretty tricky challenge on your hands I'd say.

Good luck with it!

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
OmarR 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  

I agree with Bret. In order for you to get the BEST function out of it, you are going to have to:

1. Place it right in the middle of the bed

2. Mount it on top, versus below the bed (above the axle, etc).

Then you have to worry about it getting wet, and you have to worry about damaging it with any type of cargo you put in the back. I guess you could build some kind of sturdy, non-metal enclosure for it. Maybe Rhino lining would help with the metallic interference.

Anyways, you could definitely try different spots at the risk of limited functionability. If you end up doing it, let us know how it turns out.

Smoke Signals 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to study this one some more.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic