icon

capacitor problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MikeHusain 
Copper - Posts: 139
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
I just removed my 2      1farad rockford caps and installed 2     5farad power acoustic digital caps.  I was expecting to hear a great difference but instead it sounds worse.  Infact it sounds better when i remove the 2     5farad caps.  Can anyone explain this?   Could the caps be malfunctioning?  If they were bad, it shouldnt effect the way the system sounds because the power wire runs through both positive sides of the caps and into the distribution block into the amps.    Is there a way to test if you have a bad cap?  Can anyone expain what is happening.  The caps seem to prevent power to the amps then to assist them.  Thanks.....
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
Please explain the sound. High pitched? Not as powerful? Fuzzy? Muffled? Also, it would probably help if you explain how you have them wired.
I suspect you have a grounding issue somewhere, but that's just a hunch.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
MikeHusain 
Copper - Posts: 139
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

THE BASS DOESNT HIT AS HARD AS IT DID. BUT IF I DISCONNECT THE CAPS, ITS SOUND BETTER,  HITS HARD, CLEAN SOUND.  I HAVE IT WIRE UP PROPERLY.  HOT WIRE GOES INTO POSITIVE SIDE OF CAP #1 AND BUSS BAR CONNECTS TO THE OTHER POSITIVE SIDE OF CAP # 2.  I HAVE EACH GROUND FROM EACH CAP GOING TO A SOLID GROUND.  BECAUSE OF THE INSTALLATION OF THE CAPS, I HAVE THE GROUND RING TERMINALS VERY CLOSE TO THE POSITVE RING TERMINALS BUT THEY ARE DEFINATELY NOT TOUCHING, OR ELSE THERE WOULD BE A BIG PROBLEM.  COULD IT BE THAT THE RING TERMINALS , POSITIVE AND GROUND ARE VERY CLOSE TOGETHER IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM?   I ASSUME AS LONG AS THE ARE NOT TOUCHING , THERE WONT BE A PROBLEM....  I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO.....  

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Dude... CAPS OFF... If you were to read all of the many posts regarding caps on this board, you would realize they are a tremendous waste of your time and money. Please take them back, get your money back, return the other caps to the system, and take the "upgrade money" you just spent, and put it towards an HO aternator.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst is right. Stop wasting your time and money with caps. Get a H/O alternator and you'll never need to deal with caps again.
~wayland
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
Not to slight Mike's ssystem or his ears, but I have run into a few folks who preferred the slightly distorted sound of current-starved amps on subs to a "stiff" power supply for their sub amps. It's similar to a studio trick used for kick drum on a lot of rap albums. There's also a misconception of what 'hitting hard' really means, but that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax. There's no accounting for taste ;-)
The other thing that pops into my head is thhe possibility of a bad termination. One bad one can add an ohm or two to the power circuit, whiich can rob some serious power out of a high current system. Too many options, not enough data.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic