icon

battery question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ace customs 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2003 jaguar x type and I am thinking about running another battery in the trunk. I currenlty have 4 guage wire running to two d class 1200 rms amps on one orion H2 sub. I am thinking about adding two more amps just like that and one more orion h2. I have three caps but they only big enough to hold about two good thumps and then there dead. What kind of battery do I need. Can I use the 4 guage wire to charge it and then run seperate wires from that battery to the amps. Also will my stock alternator hold up to that much power.  I dont use the system alot mainly just for comps and shows. thanks for ur help in advance.
Ace Customs
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
get a High Output alternator, replace the battery under the hood with a gel cell and call it a day...
2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
leaf 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
It's probably easier to just add an optima yellow top now that you've got the 4ga run than it is to get an alternator, bracket, terminals, void your electrical warranty, etc. Battery=BIG cap
gladbach 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
I'm suprised you only have 4 guage w/ all that power... 4guage is really only good till around 800 rms then you need to move up to 1/0
kev
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
You need bigger wire, 2 gage or even better than that 0 gage. Also a HO alternator. The caps are a waste in my opinion. Also upgrade the BIG 3 will help.
'85 Toy
ace customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
yeah I will have to use a bigger wire if i dont get a battery. Thats why I was thinking I could use the existing 4 guage to charge the battery in the trunk (the one i am thinking about adding) and then run seperate 4 guage wires from that battery to the amps. Will this work or will that battery not stay charged long enough for the 4 guage wire to charge it. I dont want to use an HO alternator either because of waranty. Any ideas guys thanks.
Ace Customs
ace customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Will I need bigger than a 4 guage wire to charge the battery in the trunk. Also if I run the battery in parallel will I need an isolator for it, or can I just leave that off. Also does anyone know what the amperage output is for a jaguar x type of lincoln ls I will need to know this so I can get the right isolator. I also read in a previous post that you have two fuses on the wire going to the second battery. Also would it be better to use a dry cell or wet cell. And would it be better to use another battery or invest in like a 50 farad cap.
Ace Customs
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
you pretty much need an isolator. If you leave the batteries connected in parallel, then the internal resistance in the batteries will drain them. Also, if you have an isolator, 4 gauge cable will be fine unless you have like a 200 amp alternator...
-Drew
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

leaf wrote:
It's probably easier to just add an optima yellow top now that you've got the 4ga run than it is to get an alternator, bracket, terminals, void your electrical warranty, etc. Battery=BIG cap

IF any warranty was to be voided, how would adding an alternator be different than adding a battery?

2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
ace customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
its easier to take the battery out than to take the alternator. They cant prove I had another battery in there.
Ace Customs
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic