icon

remote start manual transmission

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
repomansaints 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2005 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
i've done a couple of remote start systems, i will be doing one on a manual transmission, this will be my first time, i told the guy i wasn't sure if i would do it do to the safety hazard of it starting in gear, i don't know what alarm system he has, i just wanted to get some basic info i need to know on how to install, once i get the car he wants me to put it on and the type of remote system he has i'll post it up and see if you guys can help me out,,,
Thanks in advance
RMS
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 16, 2005 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
I (PERSONALLY) will NOT do a M / T RS............
There are some Safty Devices available, like the Peripheral #NSS Neutral Safety Bypass.
Consider the issue of Saftey when putting any Device on a Vehicle
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2005 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
Ive done between 5-10 remote starts in manual tranny vehicles.   I dont care to do them personally either, as the known safety issues. I make my customers sign a waver stating they are aware of what could happen if the car was left in gear, and that I am not responsible for damages, etc.... blah blah..   
I dont install them any different than an automatic remote start system, I just use a jumper wire to bypass the clutch switch. Simple enough, and can be a VERY profitable piece of wire.
d_arnold 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
I do the same thing as drvnbysound said. To bypass the clutch most cars have a wire that shows negative when the clutch is pushed down. If you run the neg. through cranking wire from the alarm to this wire at the clutch switch you should be in business. I even did it for myself on an 02 RSX. If works great. Although I needed the neg. through cranking wire to hook up my transponder bypass kit. Because that wire was playing a dual role I had to add a diode. Otherwise my bypass kit would activate everytime the clutch was pushed down. I had to keep the neg. signal from the clutch switch from comeing back down the wire to my bypass kit.
Or you can tap the starter wire in the engine bay instead of inside the car. Simply and easy. You are then just bypassing the clutch switch all together. I've done them both.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
It's very safe in my opinion if you have taken all necessary precaution. Take a look at Compustar unit. They have a lot of safty feature build into the unit for manual tranmission vechile. As for advice, take an hour and read through the user/install manual thoroughly especially if this is your first manual install. Doing this will probably save about 5 hours of headach and a bottle of painkiller.   
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.remote start manual transmission -- posted image.
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
Search the forums for "manual transmission" and you find many discussions on this topic. Do it the safe way and use a remote starter designed specifically for a manual transmission. Waivers don't hold up in a court of law. Sad but true. Do it right and be safe.
2000civic 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  

I own a manual and put a RS in it and the model is a Compustar 2WSS-AS which has a reservation mode that only allows the car to be remote started if when you first exit the car you have the car in nuetral, foot off the brake, and the parking break on, the car keeps running until all the doors are closed and then the LCD remote tells you that it was set properly.  If all of these step have not been done it will not remote start.  There is no way to exit the car if the car is in gear since it will not work the way it is supposed to.   If it is designed for an automatic i would run and say hell no!  The Compustar unit I have can be used either way, but if the Jumper in the brain is cut then it will only work for an automatic.  I know for a fact that my unit will not work unless I have met every part of the setting of the reservation mode.  By putting the car in nuetral and exiting the car it assures that the car cannot be in gear. 

cgalvin29 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
i would make sure that the r/s is designed for a manual tranmission vehicle. If it is designed you will have to hook-up to the clutch-bypass wire hand brake and ALL door triggers for most r/s because you have to go through a series and actions to set the car up for "ready mode" which is the only mode the car will start on. But if it is designed for a Automatic you can still use it at our shop even though we use a r/s designed for a manual, we put it a redundent circuit that stops the r/s from starting in gear all we do is take apart the shifter boot and place a mag switch the shows ground while in any gear but has an open load when in nuetral this can be kinda tricky depending on the car but can be done for virtually any vehicle then tie the mag switch into the hoodpin wire which will not start if the r/s sees a ground on this wire, i have hooked up plenty of Auto r/s in manauls safely this way, its a little extra work but works great.
nam-eci 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Most insurance companies will not pay out if they find out it has a remote start.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
nam-eci wrote:
Most insurance companies will not pay out if they find out it has a remote start.
Will not pay for what?
Not on this side of the world. That's what insurance are for. UNFORSEEN EVEN, of course it has to be investigated. They will afterward go after those who are negligence. The blame theme is then invented. That's why you buy insurance if you own and operate a shop so that you will have your paid lawyer versus their paid lawyer to duke it out in court.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.remote start manual transmission -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic