icon

How do I wire these lights correctly?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sodedit 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

I bought some small blue neon lights for my car.  They arent even a tube, just a bright small bulb.  Each one comes with about 3 feet of 12 gauge wire that can be hooked directly to my positive and negative battery terminals.  I know that I shouldn't just run the wire strait to the battery, i need to know the correct way to do it.  I have 20 of them, and intend on using each one.  I'm aware I will need a switch (probably more than one) but I don't know if I am gonna need a fuse, or a resistor, and where in the circuit to put them.  I own a 1997 Honda Civic LX.  If anyone can help, let me know. Thanks

>Chris

>Chris
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

find out the current draw on them,  find the total current , for example 20 amps, 12guage wire should be more than enough. install all the lights where you want them in the car, then run a positive and negative wire around to each light and connect the wires all in one chain, then fuse the positive ground the negative. Connect the pos to the battery, and figure out what kind of switch you want to do, use a relay or whatever.

2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
sodedit 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I got an automotive inline fuse for up to 20 amps, and got some 20 guage wire.  I found out that the wire for these lights is 20 guage, maybe even smaller.  The resistors are built in, so just connect a switch to the positive wire and i'm ready to go? 
>Chris
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
well you will need bigger wire if you run them all in parallel, depending on thier current draw.  But other than that you should be good
2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.