icon

viper 791 xv range problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kmongru 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
hi i have a 96 neon witha viper 791 xv which i installed about 5 days ago, and im having problems with the range, the unit wont even work with my car in the driveway, i checked all connections and the antenna and everything looks ok, so i dont know what the problem is, from what i understand a pager alarm should give me better range than that. anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong, also my battery is in the trunk which i was wondering if it would give my less voltage, which it doesnt(12v) which would in turn give less reception?? any suggestions would help thanks
kmongru 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
the antenna is mounted in the middle of the windheild below the polarized part, the rest of the windows are tinted yes,
Calgarysouth 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

as dei would say...

"Did you check your ground??"

DEI pieces are VERY susceptible to poor grounds

metaverse 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Check the remote battery and replace it with a fresh one..Then go from there..
nava94 
Silver - Posts: 296
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
check your ground. then check your ribbon cable for your antenna make sure it's not damaged or bent. might have a bad antenna or cable.
vinman75 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  
Also make sure to extend the antenna cable out as much as possible,,,, which means don't just bundle up the excess in a wad and shove it in the dash. I heard this at the dei training and we did a little range test at the shop and it makes the world of difference. Also if your visor strip on the winshield is a metalized film you might have to move the antenna completely away from it.
charlyuy 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
I have a similar problem on my Jeep Cherokee 1991 I6 4.0L
and a Prestige APS996a, I live outside the USA so no Prestige representative here, the seller (www.autotoys.com)
sent to me first another superheterodyne antenna, I tested with this new antenna even extending the antennas's cord as the engineers at audiovox suggested to me, I installed the antenna 1 meter (~3ft) above the Cherokee's roof outside and no improved was noted. Yesterday I received from Autotoys another 2-way remote, programmed it and made the same tests with the same sad results, no more than 400ft in the very ideal situation (open place near beach), if I enter a shopping center, I lose the signal when I can even see my car very near. I tested local RF transmissions at 435Mhz (the APS996a freq) and is free for radio amataur (almost none here).
With this situation this expensive security system becomes useless since I got no notification when the alarm triggers, a useless expensive toy. Any experience with that out there?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic