icon

Adding Alarm LED to Prestige APS-15KB?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redthunder 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

I bought an alarm led off eBay, exactly like this one here.

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=48611&item=5763370817&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It came with a note saying that it should work on all alarm systems that support an LED light between 2 and 9 volts. The seller also included a resistor to be used incase the alarm supports LEDs over 9 volts.

I have a Prestige APS-15KB alarm. Does anyone know what volt LED my alarm system supports? I was planning on cutting the two wires going to my current LED and wiring in the new LED off the positive and negative wires. Would this work out fine without any side affects? Would the new LED support the same flash fuctions as with the current.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

metaverse 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
I have the blue LED from the same seller..works fine on my Audiovox APS 775..
It also works fine on a compustar..Clifford RSX, Autopage RS-850/855 series..crimestopper RS-2011..tested and working..
redthunder 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply metaverse. Did you plug the LED in off the LED outlet of the main box, or did you wire in the new LED off the existing LED wires?
redthunder 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2005 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to add. Does the new LED retain the same flash  functions as the original LED?
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  
Flash functions should not change.  I'd recommend wiring it off of the original wire unless you're SURE of polarity.  If the plus fits, then there are good chances that it may already be wired correct for polarity, but if you use the existing wire you can be sure of this.
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
metaverse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
redthunder wrote:
Thanks for the reply metaverse. Did you plug the LED in off the LED outlet of the main box, or did you wire in the new LED off the existing LED wires?
I always use the original factory LED wiring up until the mounting point, usually the dash. Then I crimp insulated male/female bullet connectors for quick disconnects in case I have to do work on the dash. This also allows me to switch out LED's if needed..
The LED is passive. It does what the alarm brain tells it to do. I have had the LED's flash from the alarm brain, and I have also used them where they don't flash..(door switch lighting for eg.)
redthunder 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  

Metaverse, did you use the resistor that was included with the LED?

Would you happen to know what the LED output voltage from the alarm brain is on the Audiovox/Prestige alarms? I was told if it was over 5 volts I would need to use a resistor on the LED. Thanks

metaverse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
I did not use the resistor..the output is in the range of 2-2.5 volts. Measure your alarm's output with a DMM. Put the resistor in place if you have doubts..and if the light is dim or not working, connect it directly. That is what I did..
Corsicaboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Prestige alarms put out 4 volts or less. I have never seen one over 4. That's not to say it won't, but I doubt they would change that after 7 years of doing it the same way.
Jeff
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
just a question, ive also seen these leds and im just wondering if they are brighter than the dei leds that come with the alarms.
gcorrea
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic