the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

APS-996a remote start/alarm, $425 installed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
02 pimperado 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
at our local tint place i was looking at a new prestige aps-996a remote start alarm ............................or simmeler, to that model it is a prestige,....................... i have a 02 silverado, installed with 2 way paging monitor&remote start for $425 after everything, .................                           the guy sayed he was mobile and could come to my house, work, or anywhere to install ............it estimated time would take 3 to 4 hours.............  is this a deal?     
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
What State R U in?
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
02 pimperado 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
waco tx
steiny83 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
That's about the price you'd be looking at for most shops (at least from my experience)...If you know a decent amount about electronics (how to install head units, etc.) they aren't terribly hard to install...I am almost finished putting one in a '98 S-10...it is the toughest electronic project i've done on my truck, but certainly doable (especially if you make use of this site APS-996a remote start/alarm, $425 installed? -- posted image. ).  You'd also save lots of money!  if you do take this route, you will have to purchase something to bypass GM's passlock II  security system (probably a DEI 555L....about $30) ...good luck
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Make sure the price includes him sticking around to help you solve any related issue with the unit should anything arise.   
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.APS-996a remote start/alarm, $425 installed? -- posted image.
02 pimperado 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
ok i work at dell so maybe i can do it myself, about the alarm is it a good one? is there any way to break into my truck with this alarm?  
JiggaFan 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
it would be fairly easy to do on a '02 Silverado...the BCM and ignition wires are right there under the steering column. i also think there are those screw-up plastic panels under the dash that'll make for an convnenient place to "tuck" the brain.
biggest part is prepping the alarm. even if you know how to install an HU, that doesn't mean you'll be able to properly interface ALL functions of the alarm. also, i think i've heard that the prestige pieces force you to turn the shock sensor to a very, very insensitive setting b/c the shock sensor is not bypassed during remote start.
$425 with tax and bypass included is a rather decent price. but like said above, will he be able to follow up with shock sensor adjustments and what not after he has packed up his "mobile" workstation and left?
that $425 is probably about $50 short of what we'd charge for a similar alarm/RS system on that truck...6.75% tax and we charge $50.49 for bypass.
installing it yourself will probably take about 16 hours.    and you shouldn't have any problems, but be careful not to do anything stupid to the BCM (BCM = Body Control Module = park lights, headlights, door locks, etc.)
mando_la 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
      425 dollars! thats alot,, The laboar Charge is Way more the the actual cost of the Alarm,, I bought the FM-870 2-Way Car Alarms, Remote Car Starter with LCD Pager,, for 160 dolalrs,, And I, installed it Myself over the weekend,, and i have nerverd installed any type of alarm before,, it just takes some wirinng and electric skills and some research!!!!   I PAYED MY SELF 250$$ DOLALRS FOR INSTALLATIONS,  HEHEHHEHE!! and i will add the roll up model for windows and all this cool experiments and back up battery and!! All Kind Of sh*t!!
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
What you fail to recognize grasshopper is that the 996 sells for $300 at most retail locations. With that being said, the guy is only charging about $125 for labor and the bypass.
By getting the unit at an authorized dealer, he gets lifetime warrranty and support. Buy the alarm online and say the remote, brain, or anything goes wrong and you have to chalk it up as a loss and buy a new alarm.
I have seen many alarms have problems down the road, from remotes going bad (DEI 791xv remote is $85) outputs turn to solid ground outs, inputs become inactive, etc... stuff just happens. Most of the time it is not a problem, but it does happen.
I have seen many ppl buy alarms and try to install them theirselves, with an outcome that usually ends up with 10 trips to the dealer to pick their brain on how to insstall it and when they are finished, the alarm only works halfassed.
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
What you fail to recognize grasshopper is that the 996 sells for $300 at most retail locations. With that being said, the guy is only charging about $125 for labor and the bypass.
By getting the unit at an authorized dealer, he gets lifetime warrranty and support. Buy the alarm online and say the remote, brain, or anything goes wrong and you have to chalk it up as a loss and buy a new alarm.
I have seen many alarms have problems down the road, from remotes going bad (DEI 791xv remote is $85) outputs turn to solid ground outs, inputs become inactive, etc... stuff just happens. Most of the time it is not a problem, but it does happen.
I have seen many ppl buy alarms and try to install them theirselves, with an outcome that usually ends up with 10 trips to the dealer to pick their brain on how to insstall it and when they are finished, the alarm only works halfassed.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic