icon

GM-U7 info for 1st timers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hey just thought I'd drop and FYI on the Crimestopper GM-U7 for GM model trucks. The unit is designed to interface with the BCM via the OBD-II connector and provide door lock interface, factory alarm, trunk (not on my truck), and a few extra features. All this through the 1 wire to the BCM.
Install and programming is simple. Make al your connections wires right where the alarm wires plug into the brian ahead of time and leave the module unpluged. After powering up the alarm, push and hold the program button on the module, push the connector in. Turn the key to "IGN" and wait for the unit to flash rapidly. Then release button and start car/truck. DONE! The unit knows the vehicle and how to bypass PASSLOCK! Awesome! Drivers priority doesn't appear to be an option (big woop!)
Features:
Door lock interface - Connect the 2 output wires from the alarm brain (blue and green) to the 2 wires on the gm-u7 (orange & PURPLE / white). When the alarm sends the unlock to the GM-U7 it sends the code to disarm the factory alarm and to unlock ALL the doors. Locking does the same, including arming the factory alarm
Door Trigger interface- Connect the "optional" input wire from the GM-U7 (YELLOW) to the dome light output wire (+) from the alarm and then the door trigger output (GREEN) from the GM-U7 to the alarms negative (-) door trigger input. Operation: When the GM-U7 see's the domelight wire go (+) it sends a ground out the GREEN wire to the alarm, triggering it as if the door is open.. It appears when you do a remote shutdown the GM-U7 is able to de-activate the RAP circuit too. So no more running radio for 10 +/- minutes PLEASE NOTE: if the domelights are turned off at the switch then the alarm will not be triggered. The factory will go off but not the aftermarket unit.
I don't have a trunk so I couldn't tell you how that worked but I imagine it will since everything else does as stated. The unit is also suppose to turn on the defroster if the outside temp is 23 degrees or below however I have no way of testing that now.
This unit was definitly worth the price ($35) (goautosound on ebay).
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Yes... and then the battery gets disconnected when it goes into service, or it just dies (happens up here in the winter once inawhile). The unit then loses all programming. Now, customer comes to pick up truck, hits the remote start..... truck then proceeds to lock up. (Passlock isn't learned any more) Now, customer has to wait. While customer is waiting.... you get a phone call.   
See where I am going with this? I really really missed the DEI pre programmed doorlock interfaces. The new one is extrememly similar to this U7 thing, or the GMDATAALL, or whatever bypaSS Trilogix is making this season for GM's. Yeah, it is nice to have one box that covers a whack of vehicles, however, it is also nice if that box didn't have to be reprogrammed once learned.
Just venting.... but I had way too many coming back all winter long for just that. What a PITA if you have to drop everything just to reprogram a bypass box that shouldn't have to be reprogrammed once learned.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
floaterr 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
That would have been nice to know on some of the other posts saying to use it...
What about the GMDL-BP? Is that the Trilogix?
floaterr 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
Pictures of the unit and circuit board. This appears to be a repackaged GM-U7 (or the other way around)
interal pictures and info
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
After making far too many data modules sprout wings this past season, I cannot remember. DEI 456G, and a 555LW works.... without fail.... dosen't care about battery disconnection as it comes out of the box learned. No wierd issues. No door ajar lights once inawhile. No wierd domelight timing. Yeah, they are worth a bit more money. Yeah, they work.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Satkunas 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
floaterr wrote:
Pictures of the unit and circuit board. This appears to be a repackaged GM-U7 (or the other way around)
interal pictures and info
The Fortin piece is an original, not a repackage. Several distributors even manufacturers repackage many of the fortin bypasskits as their own.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic