icon

sub & amp problem, im stumped

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sexyvic1 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

hello, please try to help i am really stumped.

i have 2 identical mono amps. and 2 identical subs . one amp per sub. the only thing the 2 subs have in common is the rca cable which is split to the 2.

now if i run one amp the sub is fine, if i run the other amp the sub is fine, when i run both amps and subs, i lose some power and get alot of distortion

the subs have seperate enclosures.

i tryed the pass through on one amp to run rca' and got that prblem, so i figured i would split the rca and not use the pass through and i get the same problem.

if i have the rca's pluged in for both amp it sounds like crap, but as soon as i remove an rca from one the other sub sounds great. if i remove a speaker wire the other souinds great. for some reason they do not want to work together.

i had the same set-up in my last truck and it worked fine. i don't understand.

please please please help. thank you.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
you have the positive and negatives on one of the subs reversed. Its either inside the box r between the box and the amp. Either way just swap the positive and negative around on one of the set ups and I bet it will work fine.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 6:08 AM / IP Logged  

Just to elaborate a bit more on what ravendarat said so you know for future reference, what has happened is you've (or whoever put them in if not your self) has wired them "out of phase" what is happening is that as one speaker cone moves forward, the other one is moving backwards, this tries to cancel out the sound. Only in complex setups would you wire a speaker out of phase, in 95% of setups, you want them "in phase"so that the speaker cones moves forwards and backwards at the sametime. Hope this helps for future reference.

Raymond Wilkinson-Reed.

Check all advice given with a meter
sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

thanks guys i hope that is it, i will check that later this afternoon and let u know what happens.

what a stupid mistake. 

overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
It's not a stupid mistake, it's one that you can make when your not used to doing this all the time, don't worry about it too much, it's a simple mistake, no damage was done. Don't worry about.....but don't tell anyone you did it ;)
Check all advice given with a meter
sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
checked the sub today..... the polarity was reversed on the sub . thank you for all your help. now its time to start tuning it :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic