Viper 791 vs Autopage 855

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Netfly 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
   Doing an install on a 05 F350 Diesel. Can't see any major differences between the two alarms. Would appreciate opinions from anyone that has dealt with both as to which is better for this application and why. I'm leaning toward the autopage only cause it appears easier for the user to reprogram features. Any failure rate info appreciated too.
Thanks for the advice.
dare_ds69 
Silver - Posts: 419
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
there are alot of diferents the viper has a good name, has good range, is easy to program, the brain is small, has more features, more chanels, and has life time waranty, the autopager has less range, less chanels, it has life time warantyt, but it brakes often. plus the brain is big. but is of to you what alrm you like to work with.
how own your mind, control your life.
MECP certified. always use a DMM
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
i agree, the viper is a much nicer unit to work with as is all dei products. The autopage unit is nice, if you can find a place to mount the damn thing.. the longest part of my install with those thigns is figuring out where to put them.. I have an autopage in my blazer and a 791 in my s10.. both function great so if u wanna spend the extra cheese get the 791.. i feel its a little nicer of an isntall but the autopage atleast comes with 2 remotes
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
JiggaFan 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
you DEI whores.
absolutely nothing wrong with the 855. and the viper having more channels? i don't know...the 855 has door lock/unlock channels, trunk pop channel, + 4 more channels to do whatever you plese with...we set up one of the 855's to turn on customer's radio (channel 4), down window (channel 5) and up window (channel 6). no channel expander or anything needed.
yes, the 791 has extra long tach wire, but is that even needed for a deisel enginge? 791 also has an equally long hood pin wire so no extending the wires...but really, how long does it take to extend wires to the engine bay.
i don't remember the 791 brain being all that tiny, but it does have that extra sattellite relay portion that has to get tucked away as well.
and both alarms would be tough for the user to program...without a bitwriter, the Viper needs to have the door open or some BS. and the autopage isn't all that easy for an end-user to program either.
hell, we can't even get end-users to self-program the Omega Mars22 units which have the valet button right on the windshield.
metaverse 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Huh ? Less channels ? Lesser Range ? You meant to post that under DEI, not under autopage. I'd take an RS-850/855 anyday over a Viper 791. The 791 brain might be tiny, don't forget the relay satellite pack. The autopage has most relays on board in a compact brain.. I have done real world remote range tests comparing an autopage to a 791. The autopage beats the Viper hands down.. Nicer remote with longer battery life.. I don't even do this for a living and folks who look at the viper and then the autopage choose the autopage. Of course alarms are going to have a learning curve..and the autopage is as complex to program..that is why it is a pro-install only.. The only improvement I would like to see is the compustar style design where all the harness connectors are placed facing one side and not on 3 sides of the brain.
JiggaFan 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
^^^ yeah, i don't know what's up with these DEI jock-riders. but yeah, that 855 wire harness on 3-sides is a bit awkward to work with. i usually plug all the harness in, then tape them all down to the 4th side that has no harnesses. it's a bit easier to handle that way, then i put it in place, route same place wires where they need to go, then cut off and tape up all the ones i don't need.
the satellite relay port on the DEI was kinda neat to see in a unique way, but it was just one more thing to have to worry about tucking away.
Netfly 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I wasn't aware the autopage used a bitwriter too, thought I read somewhere that everything was set through the remote...didn't say easily :) Live and learn. As for space to mount it, this truck has enough room to mount any size brain and maybe even a stereo amp back there. Looks like the autopage may get the nod cause it will save a few bucks, even with an extra relay (think it needs one more for remote start) and added multi-tone siren. The extra remote included is nice too. Don't see much down side. As for reliability DEI has always been ok, but never great in my book. May be time to try something new. Thanks again.
nava94 
Silver - Posts: 296
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

they all have there proz and conz range on the dei alarm suckz brain is small one remote on the remote start and regular fm page alarm. the new viper 1000 has 2 remotes but i doubt the range on it is improved. ive done the bwx5 black widow and other brands and the range is better than dei. both have internal relayz or module so if one fails you need to replace the module or brain. I like dei but they are going to lose customerz if they don't fix those bugz on there future or current alarmz.

metaverse 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Netfly wrote:
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I wasn't aware the autopage used a bitwriter too, thought I read somewhere that everything was set through the remote...didn't say easily :) Live and learn. As for space to mount it, this truck has enough room to mount any size brain and maybe even a stereo amp back there. Looks like the autopage may get the nod cause it will save a few bucks, even with an extra relay (think it needs one more for remote start) and added multi-tone siren. The extra remote included is nice too. Don't see much down side. As for reliability DEI has always been ok, but never great in my book. May be time to try something new. Thanks again.
Autopage does not use bitwriter. There is no known programmer (to my knowledge) for autopage. Everything is pretty much programmed from the valet switch & remote. Programming can be inherently complex for a new user, however, it is extremely flexible once you get the hang of it.. It has master options and sub-options. For e.g. remote start is a master option, then you have a sub-option such as a turbo timer, temperature start etc.etc. I actually prefer the autopage programming since you can isolate and lock down issues with specific things such as alarm, remote start etc.etc. Autopage comes with a anti-grind/theft relay and harness... You'll love it..I know my installs love it.
Netfly 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
metaverse - you confirmed what I thought, thanks. Also you mentioned 'temperature start' - Can the vehicle temp indicator be used to trigger a start & timed run at a selected temp and turn that feature on/off via remote? Think that would be a first. ò¿ö
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic