icon

paint thinner in resin

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2005 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  

Awhile ago i mixed up a batch of resin for a box and threw in some paint thinner cause i didnt have acetone...this resulted in a thick batch of resin (which still hardened up nicely) rather than a thinned out batch...I thought that was wierd, but today i mixed up a batch of resing to coat a mold, and I thought i would try paint thinner again to thicken the resin...it worked and i managed to get one coat at 1/8" -1/4" thick (1/4" on the top)  I'm using bondo brand resin, and Im curious if the same thing happens to other brands, cause it seems pretty wierd to me.  I havent tried acetone yet to see if it thins it, but has anyone else tried paint thinner and ended up with a thicker batch of resin.  The resin thickens with the thinner before i add the hardener so its not reacting funny with the hardener or anything, and it also doesnt dry mega quick, it actually seems to set at a decent rate.  I still think its strange though.

Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
do you still use the same amount of hardener as if you werent adding the paint thinner?
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
no i used more....but it still thickened before i added the hardener so its the thinner thats doing it.  I tried a different type of thinner this weekend and it thinned out the resin.  The thinner that thickened my resin is a recordsol (whatever that is) type thinner and the stuff that thinned it is a varsol thinner....so whatever the differences may be, whether the age of it or whats in it...its pretty neat.
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
whats the point on thinning resin?
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
to "help" it soak all the way through material like fleece.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Interesting
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
yea...I like it thinner for the fleece so that it doesnt use as much resin and It saves me a bit...although the bumper I'm working on is purposely thick (added kitty hair to the mixture) and it turned out really great.  The thing is with the thicker batch, it didnt soak completely through ..the back was still fuzzy, so i had to add some to the back too.
69burbn 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 3:45 AM / IP Logged  
You should never put thinner in resin! It makes it extremely brittle and it will attack the fiber/ matting over time! The more thinner the faster the attack! Your effictively making "playdoe" when you add thinner. It will dry fine, then shatter latter on because it destoyed the fiber/ matting! If you want thinner resin use surfboard sandable resin. It's cheap and easy to get. Go to any board shop!
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
69burbn wrote:
You should never put thinner in resin! It makes it extremely brittle and it will attack the fiber/ matting over time! The more thinner the faster the attack! Your effictively making "playdoe" when you add thinner. It will dry fine, then shatter latter on because it destoyed the fiber/ matting! If you want thinner resin use surfboard sandable resin. It's cheap and easy to get. Go to any board shop!
well that's goo to know!
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
Yes..that is very good to know.  Thankfully i never used the stuff on a sub box or anything (the hood scoop i used it on is just for a mold.)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic