Amp going into protection mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

After searching former post on the subject of Amps going into protection mode

I have come to the conclusion my Memphis 16-MC500D amp in my KIA SUV is dying, it had been working flawlessly for 3 months until today when it was going in and out of protect mode at any volume

So correct me if im wrong on the reasons that an amp would do this are:

1. Bad Ground?

2. Bad Speaker Wire?
3. Bad RCA's?
4. BAD HU?
5. Insufficient power?
6. Gain settings incorrect?
7. Bad Amp

Did I get them all or is there anything I overlooked

1,2,3,4, and 6 do not apply I ad 2 local shops double check that
so Im thinking options 5 and 7 that sound about right for all of you

Now its time for that dreaded RMA back to memphis.. oh the joy

Thanks All

---Skold 

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
You could also have a bad speaker
skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  

fuseblower wrote:
You could also have a bad speaker

Elaborate please..  The speakers work fine on my Brutus 1500D in my wifes car

Thanks

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

Use a DMM and check the impedance of the speaker. Keeping in miund how you believe it should be wired.

2 ohm, 4 ohm...8 ....etc.

kreate 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Could it be that something is touching on the amp...and it's putting it into protection mode?  that way it won't blow out.  Just an idea
skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

Use a DMM and check the impedance of the speaker. Keeping in miund how you believe it should be wired.

2 ohm, 4 ohm...8 ....etc.

Each Speaker is 3.67ohms most commonly refered to as 4ohms, in fact out of 10 speakers including some JL , MTX and RFs that I tested at my guys shop that said 4ohms on the box read from 3.6. to 3.8 on the DMM

and yes Before anyone ask yes I know how to use a DMM Im a Computer Engineer its part of my daily work

I thought of it being too low of an impedence at first and then we hooked up a speaker to it that was 4ohms one at a time and it still had the problem

Suggestions?

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

kreate wrote:
Could it be that something is touching on the amp...and it's putting it into protection mode?  that way it won't blow out.  Just an idea

Nope its a clean mount to the back of the rear seats I used 3/4 MDF under the seat fabric and its screw into that, all wiires are firmly attached with no room to wiggle

The only other thing I might have thought was my relay but I disconnected it and it still goes in and out of protection mode

More Ideas?

Im getting a loaner amp today while I have Memphis Repair this one.. damn 6-8 weeks wait time

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
Your root causes cover most of the common failure modes.  If the speakers are fine using another amp, then you've eliminated the speakers.  If your amp gain is set correctly, that one is out.  Measure the voltage at the amplifier with the system running and see if it drops below about 10.5V.  If so, the amp is shutting down on low voltage.  Make sure no speaker wires have stray strands that could touch ground.  But if it's not low voltage I suspect your amp has a fault.  If it's only three months old you should be able to get a warranty repair.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
BTW, skoldspuppy, when you read resistance across a speaker terminals you are measuring DCR, not nominal impedance.  It is always lower than the nominal impedance, usually a factor of  /1.25  For example, if you get a true reading of 3.5 across the terminals, the nominal impedance would be about 4.4 ohms.  This is just to save you from worrying that the impedance load might be too low.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
nam-eci 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

The most common cause that I know for this is HEAT!

'Resistance causes Heat & Heat causes resistance'

I've had a couple of Amps do that, Is it packed away in the deep dark depths of your car with NO AIR? - Amp going into protection mode -- posted image.You know what happens to dogs if you leave them in Hot cars!Amp going into protection mode -- posted image.

Computer Engineer!-Wire in some 12v dc Fans. Like the ones in your computer.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic