icon

Air Bubbles. Are they deadly?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

I have been checking out FG how to websites and been trying to teach myself how to glass. Now ive only made 2 things so far and they were both just little tweeter pods. Now every thing i come across says "GET OUT THE AIR BUBBLES!!" Do i have to get all of them out? I mean when i glassed the pod i wasnt worried about the strength.i saw little tiny bubbles in it but nothing huge. is that ok? i bought a little paint roller thing because a website said to use one. Now im making a sub box for some 12's and was wondering if ALL of the bubbles have to be gone or it will seriously weaken it. Thanks for the help!!

M&mfabrications 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
If you have large bubbles they leave a void which is obviously weaker than if they were not there. If you end up with a large bubble after youre project has hardened you can sand off the top of it and fill it in with fiberglass or just resin if its not to big.
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
dont worry about the pin sized bubbles. unless theres more bubbles than glass!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
If you take your time and read/learn about what your doing, you will never have any large air bubbles. Getting a thick coat of resin down BEFORE the FG will almost eliminate large bubbles.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Rick_h 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
And... dip the cloth in the glass first. I do it both ways, but he's right, coat the work peice first, then apply cloth, then more fg and work it down with brush cut off short to make it stiffer.
I have only done smaller projects so not much help for LARGE areas at a time.
Rick H...
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
yea, really you'll beable to know if it's that big of a problem, you really have to just plain not be paying attention for you to get massive bubles, just work it through, if you do the pre coat and you dip the glass you will be able to work out 99% of any air, and anything that's left behind probably isn't a big enough deal to worry about, and if you do enough coats you wont have any problems with strength, you can always just do a few more layers then you feel necisary, just incase.. you can never fiberglass to much, HAHA, (ok so maybe you can, but who cares? j/j) g/l
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, when I try to do the dipping technique it turns in to a big mess because the mat folds in on itself when I pull it out of the resin. Then it drips all over the place.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
yea fiberglass isn't clean haha... you don't have to really like let it sit it in there or anyting, just make sure you ahve resin on everything, and work with small bits of mat at a time, it makes it a lot easier
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
boricuaso 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

why dip?

i brush the resin on, then lay some FG mat and brush some more resin on it and with the brush i take care of any little bubles, i can lay up to 4 layers of fiberglass with no bubles this way!, i could lay more down depending on the size of the enclosure.

Rick_h 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

5150azn wrote:
Hey guys, when I try to do the dipping technique it turns in to a big mess because the mat folds in on itself when I pull it out of the resin. Then it drips all over the place.

It takes practice!  You do have some paper or someting down right?  Otherwise you will "get it" from Dad for messing up the garage floor! :')

If you are having trouble dipping, stick with pre coat and then apply more fg to the cloth once it is on the work peice.

What are you appliing it with?  A paint brush cut off to about and inch long?

Rick H...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic