icon

Cheap component speakers and amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
PigGuy 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I'm leaning towards the CDT CL-61 speakers, but I'm not sure if I want the silk or titanium tweeter.  Any advice?

How big of a difference in sharpness would the titanium tweeter make?

Also, I'm not sure about the amp yet.  I plan on using my Rockford amp to power my crappy subs, but I'm wondering if the 50W RMS would be enough to make the components keep up with my subs, and possibly some 8" subs in addition to my 10" later on.  Would 50W RMS be enough to power 8" subs later on?

The car has 5 1/4" speakers in front with tweeters in the doors, and an 8" sub in the back.  I think I'm going to replace the 8" subs with my crappy 10" Sony Xplodes, that, or just hold off and buy some new subs later on.  I'm

PigGuy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I'm leaning towards the CDT CL-61 speakers, but I'm not sure if I want the silk or titanium tweeter.  Any advice?

Also, I'm not sure about the amp yet.  I plan on using my Rockford amp to power my crappy subs, but I'm wondering if the 50W RMS would be enough to make the components keep up with my subs, and possibly some 8" subs in addition to my 10" later on.  Would 50W RMS be enough to power 8" subs later on?

The car has 5 1/4" speakers in front with tweeters in the doors, and an 8" sub in the back.  I think I'm going to replace the 8" subs with my crappy 10" Sony Xplodes, that, or just hold off and buy some new subs later on.  I'm just

PigGuy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

The car has 5 1/4" speakers in front with tweeters in the doors, and an 8" sub in the back.  I think I'm going to replace the 8" subs with my crappy 10" Sony Xplodes, that, or just hold off and buy some new subs later on.  I'm just hoping the

PigGuy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

WTF?  How did I post 4 of the same thing?

I think it was hitting "Post Reply" every time I hit the spacebar... I suck. 

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

wait what was that I didn't catch all thatCheap component speakers and amp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image....be pateint while posting, they can take time (obviously)

I sometimes base tweeter material on what type of music you listen to. Rock and rap seem to be more suited to hard or metal dome tweeters, where jazz, and classical music are better suited to soft dome tweeters. This of course is not 100% either way, at all. Your best bet is to demo the different types, even if they are not the same brand, it will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Don't mix sub sizes, stick to one size.

racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

As far as the tweeters go, it is more of a personal preference. I suggest that you listen to the 2 configurations and make up your own mind.

I myself prefer silk over titanium or aluminum, the metal tweeters just sound to tinny to me but, that is my personal preference.

As far as the amp, 50watts rms should be plently. The cadence amp that I am running is 50w rms and 75 peak and it keeps up with the subs without a problem.

And don't mix up subs, wrong wrong thing to do, it will cuase frequency cancelation. Choose either the 8's or the tens and stick with that set up.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
PigGuy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

Well, about the mixing subs, I want to mount them on the back dash, under the rear window.  I'm not sure that I'll have enough mid/low, and I didn't want to cut up the rear pannel for my 10" subs, but I'm too cheap to buy 8" subs to put in the stock location.  I guess I could use the extra channel for a smaller speaker later on.

Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

you really don't need to put subs back there to get good mids, if you have a decent set of subs that are in a PROPER box, and you have some good 6.5 or 6x9's you wont miss out on anything, as far as the tweets i personaly prefer silk, but you really do have to try it out to see for yourself

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
PigGuy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

I ordered the speakers with silk tweeters.  Now I'm just trying to figure out what amp I should buy.  How loud is 50W RMS for component speakers?  I would think it would be PLENTY, but have no idea.

In regards to the subs, I can't put them in the trunk because it's too insulated from the inside of the car, that is coming from other Fleetwood owners.  I was hoping to mount them like this guy did: www.edsautos.com  But now I realize that I must have an enclosure and that's not a good idea.  I might still look into building a fiberglass enclosure behind the subs and mount them there anyway, but I'll have to work up the balls to tear the thing apart and go for it.  I'm not a huge fan of making permanant modifications to the car's interior... even with 120,000 miles on it, I still might decide to sell it someday.  One problem is, the stock subs are 8", 8 Ohm, so once I swap head units, I'll have to run them off the amp or something.  They have a foam enclosure around them from the factory, but if I swap them for anything else, I can't use it anymore.

Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
50 is plenty, i have an 800 4 channel on my highs, (about 65 rms each) and i have never put the amp up over about half..  and if you wanna go nuts, cut out part of that back dash, make the thing a box and fiberglass on top, basically build a wall in your trunk and just have the top of the box back there and cut out half your back dash
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic