icon

washingtonians, 18 subwoofer box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontripmeoff 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

Just bought a 18" subwoofer and I'm having a hellava time getting this big thing installed in a 1990 honda accord.  (been quoted up to 1900 bucks to build a tl box for me pluueease)

Anyway what would a sealed  (4.5^3) or ported (5^3 @ 30hz) box cost?  Does not have to be fiberglass per se.  I'm curious what I should expect to pay, and if there are any capable people in my area, (seattle, tacoma, bellevue area)  that could help with this project?

Markland556 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
im in bellevue but im a N00B at this stuff too, gunna be working the next few days cause its been really nice outside.
Youd should just make one yourself.washingtonians, 18 subwoofer box -- posted image.
John64 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
Make it yourself. Do it out of MDF $15 sheet. One sheet should do you good. Make sure you brace the sh*t out of it, since its going to ba pretty big box. Why did you pick a 18"? Hope your amp can move it!
dontripmeoff 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  

Hell I *wish* I could, couple of reasons against doing it :

No garage, and where I live is *not* the best area to do this type of work in, last time I attempted to do this work ( I live basically on a main intersection) on my last system my stereo system was stolenwashingtonians, 18 subwoofer box -- posted image.

The lack of tools makes this job pretty much impossible, and finally *time* is difficult to arrange. 

Well, I dont mind paying someone *BUT* it's finding someone who can do it, hell I can help too but like I said trying something like this in my area would *not* be suggested, Dont want my brand new sub, amp, and whatnot stolen.  oh btw its the brutus 1605d amp, (1600 @ 1ohm)

overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
the 8" will make plenty of noise, you would run it with a low pass and a high pass X-Over. 18's have a lot of trouble once you get over about 70Hz (I think) and you quite often need something to beef up the higher end of bass octavial area. By installing an 8" you would rectify this problem if it handles the 70-200 Hz range. 18's don't make a great deal of "noise" they mainly shake the sh!t out of everything!
Check all advice given with a meter
jiggy_friggz 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
u wanna sell that 18?
i smoke more than the average man
dontripmeoff 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

Lol sell, naaw I'm gonna make it fit trust me, I am going to tackle making the box myself ... phunkit, I'm just gonna have to.  No way I'm spending what I've been quoted to pay some putz to do it for me

If it were a reasonable price yea, but now, I'M GONNA do it :D

Project GT 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
i'll do it, but i don't live really near you. i mean i could build it to specs and you could pic it up.Where u located at?
[IMG]http://webpages.charter.net/turbokl/pnwavatar.jpg" height=80>
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

$1900? Ha ha I would tell them to blow me. If you dont have all the tools for a MDF box, build a fiberglass box, since you want it sealed anyway, take out your trunk, fiberglass requires a lot less tools, you can order the speaker rings, it is more expensive but it will be nice, take out your spare tire and build it in there, you might have to cut a few pieces of wood, but get a shop to sale you what you need precut, if you only need 4 pieces 4x20 or something. good luck man, there is no way someone can sale a box for $1900 unless it was one of the boxes out of the Alpine car or something!

Duke Duke
dontripmeoff 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

I just wanted to revisit my old post and let everyone one know i was able to find a very nice person to build the box in the trunk.... (yes he was paid)

washingtonians, 18 subwoofer box -- posted image.

It was completely sealed off from the trunk, in a 5.2^3 box tuned to 28hz!   Sounded awsome BUT we all know with car audio it's never enough...  I"m going with a different setup, (I just cut the box outta my trunk, damn that was WORK)

I"m working on a *drop in box* this time, (no more 18" for me) for an apx 15" on about 2500 - 3k watts. :)

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic