the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

box dimensions for 18'' subwoofer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
I bet this woofer will sound like mush anyway no matter what you do, but no the size I listed is proper for a standard vented alignment based on the T/S parameters given.  Either a slot or a round vent will work.  Round vents are easier when the required length is so small.  I would not use anything smaller that 4" diameter though.
Support the12volt.com
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
yea, i think it will but i dunno, i guess if the port gets too big it w ouldn't sound any better then the box bein too big... who knows... so what made you deside to go with an 18 instead of a set of 12's or something anyways?
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
infector21 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

What does it change by being  downfired?   The only reason I was wanting it possibly down is because I wanted to protect it and also so others could not see what I had( You know kind of a stealth box so to speak). It is not a problem though for me if it is not I have a cover that will cover the back that is about 24" off of the (ground) of the trunk .   The only specs it came with is the exact same thing on the website. It is almost like it is a joke or something.  No Customer service for it No tech support No info. and only like 3 company's sell it.  Also if downfiring is not a good option is facing it toward the rear glass the best option?  Would it hurt to put a good strong amp on them and just have the power down low?  I kind of need a suggestion on an amp also. I can get Planet Audio,Orion,CerwinVega,Kicker, Then of course all the legacy and pyle crap.

Thanks  guys I appreciate your time and efforts! 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

What I'm missing to calculate the sag factor for downfiring is the Xmax.  http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/sag.htm

If Panasonic doesn't know what the damn Xmax is I feel sorry for them trying to get into the subwoofer business.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Downfiring will destroy a speaker that is not designed for it much faster due to the sag caused by gravity.  I suggest you find a nice 250 to 300 watt mono amplifier for this and mount it facing the rear glass, sure.  Planet, Orion, Kicker are probably fine choices for an amp from yout list.
Support the12volt.com
infector21 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
I Got the sub for $100 from a friend of a friend. The box was never even opened.  he got in a bind for cash So I took advantage of the position.  I feel Kind of bad.......NAH no I don't   J/K
Captanham 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
i would sell it and get a pair of 10's or 12's haha
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
It's worth about $100.  Now use another $100 and build a box to the specs DYohn posted including the port dimensions, face it to the rear as he agreed with...and you'll be good to go.  250 watts from a clean mono power source will be all you'll need for that, as the sub is very efficient with a 92 db SPL factor and probably has a 250 to 275 watt RMS.  And port through the firing side of the box.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
infector21 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

okay that makes sense with the sag.  I definetly want it to last a long time.

Would it hurt to have like a 500-600 watt amp just turned down lower that is 2 channel. The reason I am asking is because I already have a other amps that I could use.  I also have a 2000 watt legacy amp I could use.I do know that it is not really 2000 watts though! I just want the 18" to suck because of a POS amp

Captanham 
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
even turned down that legacy is probably going to sound like crap, they always do, i'd put a little money into a better amp
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic