icon

speaker buzzing Ground?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cmlove 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
On a boat I have a new kenwood radio connected to an older kenwood equalizer with 2 speaker F&R outputs speaker connections to the sony 3040 amp. The boat has copper grounding strips all throughout and I have attached a ground wire to the negative busway servicing the radio / amp and soldered the other end to the continous copper stripping. The buzzing is still there louder if I disconnect this ground wire but still noticable in all 4 speakers. Options......... some say a ground Loop ?? Don't know what that is...better RCA cables maybe gold tipped from Radio Shack? heaver than an 18 gauge ground wire to the copper strip or should I try something else. The buzzing is driving me crazy and I'm sure it is something simple just don't know what that would be. Thanks experts....Chris
christopher
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

First off what size power wire are you running to the amp? * guage at a minimum I hope. If so, use and 8 guage ground wire as well and check the resistance of the ground, it should bess less than 1 ohm. I would start there first.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
cmlove 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot to mention that each set of speaker wires I've installed an in line fuse worked fine for many years this way and the amp and equalizer even the radio doesn't have a specific ground wire where if nessasary would the new ground wires attach to the mounting screws?? Each item of course has the negative wire connected to the busway.
christopher
cmlove 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
OK thanks I'll upsize to a 8 gauge ground wire and connect to the buseway and to the copper grounding strip or should I runn it to the neg termanal on the battery. Also what about grounding the AMP, equalizer or radio seperatly and where do I connect too.
christopher
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

One option is to install a ground distrabution block off of the battery and run all of your grounds to it or just simply run your amp ground to the battery.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
cmlove 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
The distibution block idea is fine though running wires on a boat can be challenging but more important where do I attach the amp ground to the mounting screws
christopher
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

Run the ground from the ground terminal on the amp to the battery. If you have a top post battery pick up a nattery terminal like this: http://www.cardomain.com/item/LITLSBCWN

If you have a side post battery use this terminal: http://www.cardomain.com/item/LITSSMB1

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
cmlove 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
The 8 ga wire comes directly from the battery as does the red + to a busway then both 8 ga to the amp. where would the additional ground from the amp attach on the amp and where would it go back to the battery?
christopher
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

heres another thought...it sounds like igntion noise to me, install a noise filter at the amp it very easy to install and there is a fair chance it would help. another thing you can do is this depending on the boat motor.

Add a noise supressor capacitor to the ignition coil.

Change the spark plug leads over to normal leads, some boats use a very low resistance lead, they used to be used on old cars until they put stereos into them and hence they created a lot of noise.

Check all advice given with a meter
cmlove 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
The noise in the speakers is constant even when the engine isn't running. This is a new problem since I put in the new receiver and CD changer for years the system had no buzz.
christopher

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic