icon

neon lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Aznpanther98 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
i'm sorta new to this forum but i was just wonderin lowforshowcavy ur friend hasn't blown a fuse with all those lights wired into the cig lighter? or can the fuse handle all that current? i did tha same thing with my neon tube except it's in the trunk and grounded and wired to the remote on my amp (remotes wired to my cig lighter)
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
Before you go cutting the plugs off make sure that there is no DC-DC converter built into the plug to give the neons something other than 12V power. If they're designed to run on 3V as are some other plug in accessories, you can destroy them by cutting the plug and direct wiring them. 
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
lowforshowcavy 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

hey aznpanther98...he had one of those adapters that plugged into the cig lighter, and it had three pluge on the other end.  You know what I mean?  One plus into lighter, and three outlets on the other side.  My friend likes to half-ass things, but I like them to be done right...so...No, he didn't blow any fuses because each light had it's own built in fuse.  It was completly safe, it just lookes absolutely retarded with three cig-lighter pluge hanging out of his dash, you know?

2002 Cavalier
Aznpanther98 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  

chris is right about the plugs some might even have a fuse in them so if u gonna do something like that get an in line fuse or something to be safe

low it still can blow the main fuseb/c all that current going through the cig plug can be more than the cig lighter fuse can handle but i dunno for sure amp ratings are still confusing to me , i understand about doing a nice job than half ass i'm kinda finiky about that too if u gonna do something at least do it nicely unless i'm to lazy to do it and have to fix it up later lol

dskipp01 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

Maybe this will be helpful... I have 20+ neon's in/on both of my cars, with a little bit of time you can do this make it look professional,  and not have to worry about problems. Also doing it this way will allow you to turn them off quickly, because where I live the cops will clown on you for just looking at them wrong. price you pay driving jail bait.

That your neons have a built in dc to ac converter, as if it is really a neon it has to have ac power to work. having said that its also a good idea to know what your working with, check the amps that its drawing. To do this can be tricky if you don't know how to use a multimeter, however it is always better to be safe than sorry. So if you are useing a neon that plugs into a cig plug, there is a fuse in the adapter, usually they are less than 3 amps per light.

Now to the wiring, to keep it simple this is the way that I would suggest, but don't let this limit any idea you might have. Go to pep boys, and they have an adapter that you can use to plug into your fuse box, there are two types those for the regular size, and also the mini pluged type. This adapter has a red cable going out of it, and a place for two fuses to go in. Now the package says don't exceed 10 amps, though honestly I use up to 15 amps. (make sure that you note if the slot you plug into is turned on by ignition, or acc. or if it is continually on) This makes a difference just cause if you are worried you will leave them on all of the time then you want them to be set to ignition, or acc. where if you want to be able to have them on while the car/truck is off you want it to be placed in a slot that is sending constant power (dome light)

Now crimp the red wire coming out of the adapter to another red wire that you will run to the location of your choice, I prefer my center console, with factory switches, (makes it look for a cleaner install). (note. make sure your switch can hadle the amps, and is at the correct voltage.

From here you wire yet another positive wire (I wouldn't use anything less than 14 guage) to the light switch(s). Now you have a positive wire running to the light(s), all you need to do is ground the wire that is coming out of the light. You are now set and good to go.

I forgot but you need to cut the cig adapter off so that those wires are free to be attaches to wherever/whatever neseccary. Make sure that you have a good ground and try it out. I know this is a little vauge, but I didn't want to bore you with to many details. I will try to get some pics, but at the time I don't have a digital camera! sorry.

Donald Skipper
spyderpball8 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2002 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so i read through all of these and i still don't really know what i'm doing. I have 2 15" blue neon lights and i dont know where to go after that besides cutting off the adapter. i have a switch but i dont know what im doing now.How do i get the wire to the 12v cig plugin wire?Do i have to go into the engine bay nad find it?Then once i get there if i find it, how do i connect the two wires or w/e i have to do. Please someone give me very specific and detailed instructions on how to do this and try not to mkae it complicated.Maybe something i can print out and follow along while doing it. Thanx.
2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!
Aznpanther98 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

ok well it's not thaat complicated once u do it i know reading it may sound complicated so i apoligize if i confuse ya more, first of all where u gonna put the lights? if its under the dash which i'm assuming and if u can get under the cig lighter adapter u only need one wire connected to the + positive wire

u'll probally have to take the center console off and some of the dash to get to the cig lighter, once u have done that look for the wires connected to the cig lighter and those are gonna be the positives and the negatives, i'll only need one of the wires

on the lights the all black wire or solid color should be the negative/ground, and the positive wire should have a white line or some sort of marking,  now groud the ground wire to the cars body any metal part not painted should work like a bolt or screw down to the chassis now the positive wire just touch one of the wires on the cig lighter and one of the wire should light up the lights, if neither do make sure if the fuse is good and on some cars the car has to be on acc, just be careful not the cross the two cid lighter wires together or u'll blowthe fuse... 

on my car the cig  wires had a lil clip that slides right into the cig adapter, i just stuck the positive wire of my lights in the clip and pushed the clip into the adapter if u put the wire in just right it should stay in there without being pulled out... i'm gonna try and make a diagram for ya of the connections but it's my first time doing that so hope this helps

|--(cig lighter wire positive)-----x-----(lights Pos. wire)-----*****(light)*****-----(neg wire to chassis)

not the best of my work if u still don't understand i'll try with paint and draw one for ya... the part where the X is a good spot to put a switch and maybe a fuse if ur lights don't have a fuse so u can turn them off whenever cops are around, also good for if ur cig lighter works when ur cars off so u don't drain the battery since u have twolights just connect the lights pos wires together to a switch and same thing with the ground

u'll have to have enough wires to do this maybe... i just used some 14-18GA speaker wires had laying around and  split them so it's just one wire then connected one end to the cig positive wire then the other end to a switch then other part of the switch to the second speaker wire and ran that under the carpet and seats to the trunk where the light is, connected that end of the speaker wire to the positive wire of my lights and then grounded the ground wire to the cars chassis all the wireing was run through the center console with the switch in the center console hidden out of the way by the storage compartment... hope this helps i tend to make no sense sometimes so good luck!!!

spyderpball8 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
Thanx that helped me a ton.I completely know what to do i was just confused on your 1st post. Looks like some time and effort but well worth it.
2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!2000 Red Civic Coupe!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic