icon

amplifier installation kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
marky mark 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

what is a good price for an amplifier installation kit????

I have a 500 amp that will hooked up with 2 mtx 10" woofers....just wanted to know what sort of gauge wire I should go with for my battery connection???? 4 or 8 gauge????

thanks

jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

I would think 8 guage would be fine for a 500 watt amp, but you may want to run 4 guage in case you ever plan on upgrading to more power or multiple amps in the future. I am learning this the hard way, since I had a 200 watt amp in my Explorer and now I am upgrading to multiple amps and have to rip out the 8 guage and replace with 4 guage to a distro block.

As far as cost, it depends on where you buy and what quality you get. Most shops will charge between 60-100 bucks for a complete kit, depending on size of guage. Online and on ebay you can probably find a kit for 25-50 bucks.

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  

hi, jus wanted to say that it wouldnt be wise running an 8 gauge power wire to an amp running 2 subs. I say this because at certain times when bass hits hard, ur wire isnt there to deliver the wants for the amp. so it would be wise running 6 gauge wire. or 4 if u got da money.

i had a rockford punch 2 in my car, it was hooked up with an 8 gauge wire. however i got this checked out and changed to a 4 gauge run and after thatthe bass hit much harder and lower when i needed it.

6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
marky mark 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
jdog0411 wrote:

I would think 8 guage would be fine for a 500 watt amp, but you may want to run 4 guage in case you ever plan on upgrading to more power or multiple amps in the future. I am learning this the hard way, since I had a 200 watt amp in my Explorer and now I am upgrading to multiple amps and have to rip out the 8 guage and replace with 4 guage to a distro block.

As far as cost, it depends on where you buy and what quality you get. Most shops will charge between 60-100 bucks for a complete kit, depending on size of guage. Online and on ebay you can probably find a kit for 25-50 bucks.

well lets say that I just want to stick to my regular amp.....will the 4 gauge be much better????

racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

Run at least 4 guage from the battery to a distro block and a short run of 8 guage from the block to the amp. For a 500 watt amd, this should suffice. IF you find that you have a problem the just run the 4 guage right to the amp. I have done it this way in the past without significant problem.

One question, are you running more than just one amp?

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

You should use 4 gauge for a 500 watts amp. 8 gauge is just on the border line of too small for a 500 watt amp I think. Besides, with 4 gauge you have more room to expand in the future.

By the way... sounddomain.com and thezeb.com have some good prices on wiring kits if you're looking online.

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
What is the amp make and model so we can see if it really is 500 watts? Also what type of vehicle is it going in running 10 ft of wire in a pickup is a lot different than 20 ft in a sedan.
As for prices an 8 gauge kit runs about $20 at walmart. And a 4 gauge kit at circuit city or a similar shop would be probably $80 - 100.
Mike
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.knukonceptz.com
Great Prices, great wire, great service... I won't buy wire anywhere but from there...
~wayland

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic