icon

need to bond something to bumper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

thanks Captanham.  Ive never bought relays before...u think the guys at Radioshack will have em?  just a basic relay? 

Since the billet wont be chromed or polished (nothing else on the car is chrome) I will be painting it (not sure what color yet)  so i will be making the billet grill myself.  It wont be an amazing grill or anything but it should look pretty cool.  The camaro really isnt a money maker project as i get to do a bit of experimenting on it...but the owner is paying for materials and I'm doing it on my spare time.

Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

yea that's cool, if you are going to paint it you could use cheaper things than billit to do it,, but whatever you got works for you i guess....

the relays you can get anywere, walmart sells them, radio shack, auto zone, any were, just get a normal bosch style relay, or automotive style relay (same thing) then you can use this basically just to cut power to the white one only when the yellow one gets power, i think that would look pretty cool, if the lights are close to each other, then at night it would just look like the light changes colors from white to yellow, if you get a hyper white (the blueish kind) this effect would be more ovious, i think that would look pretty hip

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

thanks again for your advice.  I looked around the shop and i think i can whip up a grill out of some foam and thin wood strips and some fiberglass...definately cheaper than billit.

I was planning on using a piece of PCV pipe and a cap at the end (spray the inside with chrome paint or something and then putting the lights beside each other.  The glass cover on the front would be from a small halogen light or something.  I cant seem to think of another way to do the lights, so hopefully it works out.

Captanham 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  

that's cool, i dunno about the pvc, that'd be a really plane look, it might look good tho, you never know, the grand prix's (new ones) have something like that, with a divider in the middle and they have a fog light on the bottom and a yellow turn on the top, they make the yellow turn very bright by using a dual filimint bulb and powering both of them up for the signal, this may work for you, also you can check out ebay for some cheap euro clears for some import or something, pay 20 bucks for some old honda corners and mold those in, it might look cool,, heres some stuff like what i mean

http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7970506570&category=33717

http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969766438&category=33717
http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7970708323&category=33717
http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7970264664&category=33717

the top two would be the easiest, cause the lens comes apart easily from the back, so you could glass the back into the bumper and then just screw the lens on, the other ones you would have to fab up a way to hold the lights in there, just an idea... have fun

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
the 93-02 lights look pretty sweet.  I'll check around the wreckers and see if i can find something that would look good.  I was thinking round because i dont think square would look good and oval was what it origionally had.  I'll try a few different shapes in a photoshop program and see what looks best.  Thanks for the help.
Captanham 
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
yea, photoshop it and see what tit looks like, no problem, post pics when you figure somethin out
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

I suck at photoshop, so i dont have anything to show right now.  My dad bought some garden lights and we're only using some of them so I grabbed 2 spot lights.  To house the lights i got some small PCV parts (plug'n'clean?) which is 2 parts.  one part is a short female threaded tube and the other is a male threaded cap with a square on the end.  2 lights fit perfect side by side in the little square.  I'm going to cut a hole in the back of the spt lights so i can fuse the PCV with the Spotlight.  The spotlights have a nice chrome inside with a Halogen style lense. 

The lights will be positioned pretty much where the old lights were, but lined up with the outer head light.  I was thinking of putting 2 more lights in the grill...but a bit bigger, kinda like the new mustangs.  what do u think?

the lights are the smaller dash style lights, but u can buy LED bulbs and different color bulbs for it, so it could get pretty funky.  And i got the relays today too...8 bucks a piece from a local automotive store cause walmart doesnt have em here.

Captanham 
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
8 bucks? WOW, they are like 1.50 here
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmm...I think i'll have to look around and see if another place sells em for cheaper.  I got the lights setup and installed in the bumper.  I'm not totally sure how to wire the relay though...the parts guy showed me the Power in and power out terminals...are those the ones i hook my white lights to, and then hook up the turn signal lights to the other 2?  I could probly figgure it out in a couple tries but i'm not sure if i have to hook up a ground to it or if i just have the power wires running to and from it...I'm guessing just the power wire though.

I'll be making a new thread later with a bunch of pics...I'l probly have it ready for paint in a couple days since i work on it after my job.

Captanham 
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

need to bond something to bumper - Page 2 -- posted image..

see if this makes any sense to you, the dark parts are the relay (i know it doesn't really look like that, but that's the wiring schematic for what's inside of one of those)

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic