icon

Calling on the experts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
RocknLesabre 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2002 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

I am retardedly new at car audio stuff ...I have narrowed my search for speakers that I am buying online down to two brands and two products by each of these brands, since I am buying these online and have no way of listening to them online(of course) I was hoping some of you would be willing to give me your professional opinion or best guess on which to go with ...

~~Kenwood eXcelons DualMag Component Speakers 6 1/2" and 1" tweeter magnet weight 0.60 oz x 2 tweeter is a 1' hypernyl k glow tweeter protection(2 stage) 180 watts (8-45 watts rms)freq response is 35Hz to 70kHz
~~Kenwood eXcelons DualMag 6"x9" coaxials (for rear fill speakers) 260 watts max (65 watts rms) sensitivity 93db frequency response is 25Hz-70kHz
OR
~~Kicker 02K65.2 K-series Component speaker system 6 3/4" mid bass speaker with 1" titanium neodymium dome tweeters 4500 hz crossover network(6 db/octave low pass 12 db/octave high pass) sensitivity 88(db 1w/1m) RMS 75 watts Peak 150 watts frequency response 33Hz-21kHz
~~Kicker 02K69 K-Series 6"x9" 2-way Speakers (for rear fill)
sensitivity 90 frequency response 30-21,000 Hz 6-90 watts rms 180 watts max
Please help me out here as I really don't know which will be the better choice of the two, for me I listen to mostly rock like Disturbed,Creed,etc..and loudly
Calling on the experts -- posted image. THANKS A TON!

chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

It would depend upon if you are going to run them with an amp.

If you are:  This is based upon the stats above of coarse.   I would go with the Kenwood excelons 6 1/2 components and the kicker 6x9's.

Just my .02

(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

hey ROckn...depends what your'e going for as far as sound quality...I mean they're both fairly good beginning brands...but if your'e looking for soem good quality and sounding stuff, on a budget..I'd go with Infinity Kappa series, heck even the Reference series..I used to work at a shop that had these three ( and a few others, MTX, Rockford, Orion, PPI, JBL...) the infinity's sounded better to me than the Kenwoods, and kickers...But that was for Coaxials..now if your'e going Component set...it's expensive, and this is my opinion...check out Eclipse....

But if those are the brands you seem to like, and want an opinion on just them...go Kenwood....

Than again, I'm not a big Kicker fan...but every installer has different preferences...

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
DeathsJester12V 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

Actaully one other thing...I forgot to mention..find a shop in your area that has both, jsut go to the companies web site, they give a list of dealers...and have a listen to them both...I think Best Buy or Circuit City Ithink carries both brands...

Listen to them both, afterall your'e the one that's paying for it, you're the one that's gonna have to listen to it more...let your ears be the judge

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
RocknLesabre 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  

thank you both for responding...I am going to research the Infinity speakers..I was looking for Eclipse yet noone sells much of that brand online...I am pretty sure i'll go with the Kenwood eXcelon's since I have a Excelon Head unit...should sound good, then I'll amp them later on I may need some help for that..

DeathsJester12V 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, forgot to tell you...It's almost impossible to Find Eclipse online...reason is...the manufacturers' warranty is voided out as soon as teh product is not sold by an authorized dealer...hence the high price...but it is good stuff...just keep it in mind for future installs..
Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
DeathsJester12V 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

oh yeah, and Circuit City and Best Buy, carry Infinity..if you wanna compare sound quality...

Sorry for the mulitple posts..it's all the oh yeah thoughts I'm getting...it late, I've been up for 2 days...I'm entitled...LOL

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
RocknLesabre 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  

Hey DeathsJester,

Thanks again for that tip about the Infinity's , it sent me in another direction altogether, I did some more research and found two other choices on speakers I think are better than my previous choices, I am going to go listen to the infinity's at Circuit City this weekend, maybe they have the Alpines as well that I am now interested in, here are what I have picked now...what do you think?

Alpine's components'..model SPX-177A~found it online for 268.00

Infinity's Perfect 6.1 component set~(better than Kappa series right?)~found it online for 269.90

275.00 is my ballpark to spend on front speakers

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

If you’re willing to spend $300.00 then I would go with MB Quart. Their 6 ½ model # 218.61 Q series go for about $300 on eBay

Specs:
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 48-32k
Sensitivity: 86 dB
Power Range: 90-170 watts
Crossover Freq: 2600Hz Hz
Crossover Slope: 18 dB/octave

Notes:

Here is a link to the product on MB Quart’s web site. http://www.mbquart.com/Mobile_detail.asp?model=QM+218%2E61Q

On the 6x9 I would get the DCT 169 about $100 on eBay

Specs:
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 35-32k
Sensitivity: 87 dB
Power Range: 60-140 watts
Crossover Freq: 4.2k/8k Hz
Crossover Slope: 12 dB/octave
Web site http://www.mbquart.com/Mobile_detail.asp?model=DTC+169

My advice to you is go to your local car audio shops and listen to all the speakers that you like and go with the one that sounds best to you.

RocknLesabre 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks bberman,

I am going to take a look at those this evening:)they do look like they will sound better , let me ask you this... I am leaning now towards the Infinity's, they have 100 watts RMS handling capability. the frequency response starts at 75 Hz though and may not sound low enough yet they should be loud and crisp.

I have a 93 Buick and it is has a spot right in the center hump up front /under the dash area/all the way to the firewall where I can build an enclosure and place an 8" SubWoofer with a decent size box if it needs that, amp the woofer/set the frequency to that woofer correctly and since  bass is omnidirectional it should sound good and take care of the lack of that frequency from the components.

what do you think? :)

thanks again!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic