icon

fiberglassing a stock stripped dash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
psycotic1 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged  
fiberglassing a stock stripped dash -- posted image.    I am planing on fiberglassing my dash in a 91 crx I am going to change most of the design of it (but not all of it ). My question is when I strip the dash of all of its factory junk and get it to bare plastic will the resin stick? I tryed this on a pillar and didn't have the best of luck I hit it with 80 grit first and it seemed to try to come off, its there a way to get it to stick ? I read another post where they posted to drill small holes in the dash to get the resin to seap through but I am not sure if that will be enough. Any help would be good at this point
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
I think thats really the only way to make it stick, is to drill holes. If you dont want to do that I would suggest ripping it out building a mdf frame and starting from scratch with it.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Dyson 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

why do you want to put resin directly on to the dash, are you using chop mat or material with this? Make sure there are no surface greases. Drilling holes is mainly for body filler than resin, resin will just drip through and not make any difference. Scrub it with 40 grit paper to score the dash.

If you have any pics of what your trying to do might help.

bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
off topic- i am helping my g/f's little bro work on his 89 CRX showcar. i will post pics of the insanely cool sub/amp rack im doing in the back. good luck with your project. ~R
psycotic1 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Dyson wrote:

why do you want to put resin directly on to the dash, are you using chop mat or material with this? Make sure there are no surface greases.

I am planning on using chopped mat but first I want to use felt for a strong base then layer from there. I am try to make sure I do it right this is the first dash I am glassing. I plan on using a wire wheel (if thats not too much) to get the dash really rough so it has a lot to stick to, then I am going to hit  it with some prep solve to make sure there isn't any dust ,wax or grease then run felt over it. I just want to make sure my effort don't try to peel off . I try to get as much info before trying something new.But  I could use more advise. 

I will try to post pic this weekend when I start glassing it

guy_014 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
yeah i wanted to do this too over the stock vinyl on my 92 legend. i was told i might be able to just spray filler on it and sand it back and spray more filler and get the same effect. also if i do that it wont be too thick and the instrument panels should fit back in easily. ive heard some bad stories with regular fibreglass. any ideas??
sc2_ct 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
You might consider using some kind of adhesive to secure the felt to the dash frame, and then use the fiberglass resin and chop mat to attach to the felt. I'm not sure what glue there is that won't have problems with the MEKP, but maybe something like this would work (don't hold me to that though since I haven't had a chance to look at the MSDS or anything on it:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/ak/Epoxy/5_Min_Adhesives_fam/index.html

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic