icon

boston acoustic setup questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shootist 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
if i went with the BA Z5's for the front... would i really need rear speakers?? im in a 92 mustang hatchback.
would the Z5s completely dominate any sound coming out of the rear speakers for me?
on s it says rms power is 400 for the Z5... is that per speaker? like... do i need a 400W or 800W amp to power it?? is like MA audio considered a "clean strong" amp that i hear BA speakers need?
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
also, what is this feature on the Z5s?
Axis-, flush-, surface-, and angle-mount tweeter mounting kit... whats difference b/w all of these?
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
also what size sub will compliment this system? im thinking a 12"er... what subs are on top of the SQ game?? should i look for// wait for a new brahma?? i kinda fell in love with xbl^2 technology due to all the rave about it hehe... i also heard about some kind of JL subs being awesome
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

The need for rear speakers is basically going to be an opinionated matter. I personally like rear fill, I usually use just a mid woofer for rear fill, usually with significantly less power than the front. Some guys will say yes you need it, some will say there is no need. It is based on what you like, and how you have you imaging set up also.

Personally, if you are looking for sound quality, I would steer away from MA Audio, there are alot better options for a good amplifier. I would look into Zapco, Xtant, Arc Audio, Eclipse, just to give an idea.

Tweeter mounting options, axis is if you want to use the set as coaxial type, surface is just onto the location of mount, flush is into the location of mount, angle is either flush or surface mount, depending on the component options, but when inserted into the mount, it can be angled to face a certain way.

Subwoofers, depends on how much bass you are looking for. In a SQ setup, in a hatchback, I would think a single 10" would be suffice. Eclipse, Adire, JL, Image Dynamics are some good SQ subs. If you are looking for XBL^2 technology and don't want to wait, try looking into the Resonant Engineering XXX's. They use the same technology as the Brahma, I hear they are a good sub, I have no personal experience with them.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
Shootist:
The need for rear fill is a personal thing. I personally don't like it.
You don't need anywhere near 400w to power components. A nice amplifier with decent headroom would be good. MA is not considered a "clean strong" amp, at least not in the same ballpark as BA.
Whenever matching to high end components the key question becomes: what's your budget? ;-)
Flush means right mounted "flush" (flat) against the baffle or panel it is mounted to.
Angle mount means it probably comes with little angled plastic cups so you cut point the tweeters at your ears.
Axis mount means mounted right over the midrange (on-axis).
I would wait for the new line from Adire. It should be soon. 12" is a good pick if you have room. In general you'll have deeper response. After having more and more listening time on my Extremis speakers, I'll heartily say that XBL2 is the real deal.
The W7 is the awesome JL sub for SQ. It is mucho $$$. Wait for the Adire.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
ok cool... i would then guess that hifonics is also not a clean strong amp :( they fit the budget with ease haha...
ok so what kinda power am i looking for?? by what companies??
the tweeter mounting has nothing to do with the sound it produces then, right?
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
2 considerations in tweeter mounting:
1) Bring it as on-axis as much as possible; and
2) Position it as close to the midrange as possible.
Tweeter mounting can have a BIG impact on the sound it produces. I'd say bringing it on-axis should be your first priority. Then try to mount the tweeter within 4 inches or so.
Chad listed some amplifier companies to start checking out. I'd add Memphis to that list as having good quality and value.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic