icon

MRD-1000 amp,2 12 Treo's, subs clipping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jcassonjr 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 98 cavalier z-24, stock 105amp alt. I have a alpine cda-9872 deck, mrd-1000 amp, and 2 Treo 12" SSI's. They are in a larger center-port enclouser.  When I turn the volume up the subs start to clip and cut out. They dont even really destort just start clipping. I installed them using a 4 ga Rockford install kit. I went to the stereo shop where I bought the sysytem and the salesmen said I needed a larger alt. I have the bass setting on the deck at -7 and usally run the sub setting at  +7 give or take. It goes 0 - 15. Does anybody have any ideas.
Alpine cda-9855
Alpine Mrd-m1000
1 farad digital Rockford cap
2 Treo SSi 12's
Large centerport box
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
What other kinds of amplifiers do you have hooked up (if any)?
What have you set all of the amplifier settings to?
~wayland
jcassonjr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

These are the settings the amp is currently at.

Input              = 2channel

Input level     = 0db

input gain     = 9db

Lp                  = 85hz

Subsonic      =  50hz

Paramic EQ = On, 36 Hz, width 0.5, level 12db

Bass comp  = on , mode 3

time correction = on 1.6ms

output disable  = off

Alpine cda-9855
Alpine Mrd-m1000
2 Treo SSi 12's
Large centerport box
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
You OBVIOUSLY have no idea how to set your gain. Take a lesson or two, reset everything CORRECTLY, and come back and tell us everything is OK...
First off, you are only amplifying 50 to 85 Hz, but your bass boost is centered on a frequency OUTSIDE of that band - 36Hz, and with a Q of .5 (VERY NARROW), you are not even THINKING about hitting any of the frequencies you are TRYING to amplify.
Secondly, read my opening statement again. It sounds to me like you have every gain setting on the amp cranked up, which is a SURE way to blow a woofer. 0dB input level? That is unity gain (or 1:1). +9dB input gain? That is like asking a 100 watt amplifier to produce 800 watts! That is a 9dB gain.
Thirdly, turn the bass comp OFF. These things, without exception, cause more damage to subwoofers than they are worth.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Turn that gain down,  drop the lp filter to 70hz, drop the subsonic to 20 hz, turn off the time correction unless the subs are on your dash...doubt it. I can't even think about that to say about your Parametric settings...... Please get it professionally set up before you blow your subs and amp.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
^^^WHAT THEY SAID^^^
Subsonic should be at 20
LP between 70-80
Bass comp, off
time correction, off
Output disable, on (unless you have another amp hooked up)
Input gain, set up according to head unit...
Guaranteed your stuff will work once you fix the bass comp and gain PROPERLY... if not, you may have already fried the charging system, or stereo. Also check all of your power wire and fuses for being safe, secure, and undamaged..
Parametric EQ, don't even deal with it...take it to a professional audio shop if you want to get into that...
~wayland
jcassonjr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=haemphyst]You OBVIOUSLY have no idea how to set your gain. Take a lesson or two, reset everything CORRECTLY, and come back and tell us everything is OK...

First off, I know how to tune the avaerage amp that comes into our shop. I have just never worked with an amp that had such a broad range of adjustments so hold off on the hostility killer.

Second ,ost amps i tune are not digital ad have a gain, low pass, and high pass

but thanks for the help anyway, i will change them when i go on beak and let you know.

Alpine cda-9855
Alpine Mrd-m1000
2 Treo SSi 12's
Large centerport box
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
The subwoofer setting on Alpine decks seem to just affect how much voltage the deck will send to the amplifer, most sources I have read recommend running it at the full +15, I do with my deck and have the bass boost off and the settings to +0 on both the deck and amp and it works great.
I would turn your deck bass setting to +0, your amplifier gain down until you can set it correctly with a meter, and your bass boost off.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
jcassonjr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
I turned the amplifier to the settings you all recommended and now I am getting no sound at all. You can go through all the settings but when you go to the amps display it displays ---. The stereo shop said it was in protect mode but they did not know how to get it out.
Alpine cda-9855
Alpine Mrd-m1000
2 Treo SSi 12's
Large centerport box
jcassonjr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

On my deck my sub setting is around 7, and my bass on my deck is at -7.

Alpine cda-9855
Alpine Mrd-m1000
2 Treo SSi 12's
Large centerport box
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic