the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Question about box polyfill stuffing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
69burbn: why do you say stay away from AcoustaStuff? I've always had success with it.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
AudioZBahn 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
Whats the difference from the acustastuf and polyfil?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
Acoustastuf is a more consistent fiber diameter, and as it is drawn, it is crimped, with very even crimp spacing. This makes Acoustastuf FAR more predictable than the polyfil you go to Walmart and buy for a buck for a 4 cubic foot bag. Question about box polyfill stuffing - Page 2 -- posted image. Yes, it IS more expensive, but I think the recommendation to avoid Acoustastuf is only one person's view, because that person MIGHT not know what he is doing when stuffing an enclosure. If it were such a bad product, then every high-end speaker manufacturer in the world wouldn't be using it in their 20, 30, 40 thousand dollar enclosures... The Acoustastuf IS a good product, one that I recommend (again with every other audio professional in the world - that or long fiber wool) VERY highly...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
chittyboomboom 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst how do you stuff the enclosure? im lookin into this stuff so i can stuff my boxes (3 cubic feet each) and how woudl i go bout doing it?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
The recommended start point is .5 pounds per cubic foot. Generally, I just kinda fluff it up, and send it into the enclosure by the handfull. Make certain you stuff evenly, try not to have a whole bunch of big lumps of the stuff in one or two places... Because the fibers are very long, and relatively coarse, they can be right up to the back of the woofer, no problem there, but you do need to make certain it stays away from the port opening, if you are using a vented enclosure. If you have a 4 inch vent, you must keep it, at a minimum, two inches from the port opening. A 3 in port requires 1.5 inches, etc., etc...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic