icon

aftermarket stereo wiring, 01 civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spilot 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
k guys, here's my situation. mind you, i've done tons of search, and got so many different answers, so i am more confused now. the jvc unit's (that i'm planning on installing) wiring that comes out of the unit does not have the blue power wire, and the scosche wiring harness does http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOHA08B. what do i do about this, and also, will i loose my keyless entree (2001 ex) if i just do this swap, or i do i need this harness instead :
http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOHAK1B
thank you.
ps. i know that the vehicle's power wire is GREEN/ YELLOW, but what good is it if my receiver harness does not have the power wire output. thank you!
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
You will not lose your keyless entry ( 96 thru 98 only ) and the blue lead only needs to be hooked up if you have an amplified window antenna. You can simply hook it up to the red lead on the stereo and the harness.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
The '01 Civic is not weird in this respect. The HU is not integrated into any of the convenience features (dome lite, keyless entry, key buzzer, etc) of the car. I have the same car, and I pulled my OEM HU out just fine.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
spilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
k, thanks. there is no antenna on 01 civic, so i'll just leave the "power antenna" hanging then...
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
No, you missed my point.. If you don't see an antenna on the car that means there is one in the rear window and it is amplified so it needs power. You can remove the right rear "C" pillar and see the small amp there. Make sure the blue wire is powered or your reception will suffer.
spilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
i'll just splice it into my remote output (that's going to my amp), since the label on that blue/white wiring coming out of my radio says: " please connect this wire to the remote for the amplifier, equalizer end/or auto antenna. my concern was if it's a safe thing to do, but i don't see why not.
spilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
another silly question...what's the best way to connect wires....solder, i will i be fine with some twisting, and electrical tape, or should i get those plastics "twisty caps" lol, sorry don't know their name.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Wire nuts, avoid like the plague. Crimp caps or butt connectors are cheap, sturdy and easy.
spilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
thank you.
ps. why are wire nuts so horrible?
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
They fall off.
Page of 2