the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

new strange box design

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

Has anyone heard of this before? a guy was telling me about it, and i've seen some weird stuff with boxes but this is suposedly called an ABC box, it's suposedly ment for sq rather than spl, but takes up a rediculous amount of space, it envolve two chambers in a non bandpass box, with three ports going out of the box and between the chambers.. here is a link to what this guy was talking about

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=064764

post and tell me if anyone else has heard of this, or used it? or anything, it might be more common then i think, and i just haven't seen it around

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
Unless I'm mistaken, thats not very new. It's an 8th order Bandpass and in no way suited for SQ.
::EDIT:: Well, after looking closer, maybe it's not.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
that's interesting as hell ... maybe i'll try this when i'm done with my new box over the summer.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, it's a version of an 8th order bandpass.  Should get very loud over a very narrow band, have crappy transient response, and severely limit the power handling of the woofer.  Definately need a high-pass to protect the woofer below the tuning frequency.  It is possible to get low bass from small drivers using this kind of alignment.  (Bose uses a version of this design in their Acoustamass modules, by the way.)
Support the12volt.com
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
yea it looks kinda like the 8th order, but it's just different cause the sub is out of the box, i don't really think i'd use it, i doubt it would really make iti sound all that great, i was trying to build a box on winisd for DD's but i can't really figure it out to well, so i guess i'm going to try and stick to something simple and not do anything crazy
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
i would build something like this for my MA audio's 12d6, but the required specs for a single 12 are: sealed - 1.25cu ft. ported - 2.5cu ft.   i have 2 12d6's. so there is no way i can make an "abc" for my crx. it would just be too big for my car.
xTimx
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

It's called a  Double-Chamber Reflex box, According to David B. Weems. He talks about this type of design on one of his books called;

Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System 

A most read if you want to start designing your own boxes.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  

General rule of thumb........If it's BIG.....it's NOT SQ..

8th, 12th, or 27th order.......it's not SQ, it should just  BooM.......

just my opinion.......(and not wrong)

xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

General rule of thumb........If it's BIG.....it's NOT SQ..

8th, 12th, or 27th order.......it's not SQ, it should just  BooM.......

just my opinion.......(and not wrong)

??? is there even 12 or 27th order? i thought it was only up to 8th? unless your kidding around
xTimx
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  
here ... i found this through google. It's not listed on their main page.
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/dual_chamber.htm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic